1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Leh stopover recommendations

Discussion in 'North India' started by SachinS, May 23, 2015.

1. SachinS

SachinS New Member

I am going on a road trip from Delhi to Leh in my own vehicle and need some recommendations on the stopovers I should make on the way. The route which I am taking is the Delhi - Manali - Leh one so please suggest stopovers which come in the way on this route.

Please also give details of where I should get my car filled?

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

You wont find the 5* rating accommodation on the way but decent enough to spend the night.

Your first stop should be Manali where there is a number of hotels so there is no problem there. If you think that you need to stop somewhere before you can do in Chandigarh as well
    Stopover at Keylong at Jispa Hotel
    Stop at either Darcha/Sarchu/Pang and stay at the Dhabha tents
    Next and last stop would be at Upshi at Forest/PWD rest house

These are suggestions for the stopovers, whether you stopover at these places is entirely your decision and according to your own ability of driving.

The last petrol pump is at Tandi which is just before Keylong, make sure you get a full tank there, as after this there is not another petrol pump until you get to Leh which is around 400km.

3. Deven

Deven Member

The stretch from Delhi to Manali will be quite long, so it would advisable to make a stop at Shimla, but if you have the energy to drive another 3-4 hours then take it to Manali.
    Delhi rush starts quite early and the journey from Delhi to Chandigarh can be very quick if you decide to leave around 4.30am or 5am. The later you will leave the Delhi the more time it would take for you to get there, Delhi being the main cause of staying behind

4. Sunny

Sunny New Member

I would suggest you take either two or three day trip to reach Leh.

Day 1: Delhi - Manali

Day 2: Manali - Darcha

Day 3: DarchaSarchu - Leh

5. Yash

Yash New Member

The only stop over I had made was in Manali then did a straight drive to Leh, it was tiring but manageable. I would like to inform you that the stops after I think Keylong you would only find tent accommodation so don't expect anything fancy.

6. ARawat

ARawat New Member

What are the tents like in Darcha as in the condition and quality of them?

7. SachinS

SachinS New Member

Conditions of the tents are not five star but not bad either, they are good as far as tents are concerned, I mean that's the best you will get when going on this route.

8. PremUlas

PremUlas New Member

I have been on this road trip a couple of years back, and I would like to recommend you making stopovers at Manali and Sarchu.