1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi To Munsiyari By Road

Discussion in 'North India' started by Chetan, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Chetan

Chetan New Member

I have been browsing through, the forum and am considering taking my family for a holiday to Munsiyari this year, it is a new destination which I have not heard of before, and seems a bit different from the other common places like Shima.

I am someone who prefers to self-drive my vehicle and avoid taking taxis or public transport where it is possible. I have seen the Delhi to Munisiyari road trip thread, which provides some useful information, but I also have some additional information which is purely based on the actual route from Delhi to Munsiyari. Getting some helpful and informative replies from members would be great.

1. On an average what is the driving like between Delhi and Munsiyari and at what parts does it worse?

2. What time do you suggest I leave Delhi for Munsiyari?

3. Where should I make overnight stays when traveling from Delhi to Munsiyari?

4. Is there any particular place where I should get my car tank filled in case there is no petrol pump for a long duration?

5. Are there any deserted places which you go through on the way to Munsiyari?

6. What do you suggest if something wrong goes with the car on a lonely road?

7. When is time to be travel to Munsiyari?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I cannot answer all your questions, but if road safety and assistance is a concern, I would recommend contacting the Western India Automobile Association. This is an organization like AAA in the United States. They can provide roadtrip itineraries, and road service in case of accidents or mechanical problems. They are a great service to secure.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are no unpaved roads except for a distance of say 500 meters where there was a land slide and is yet to be cleared, this patch is after Birthi falls. Roads are over all in good condition.

You cannot drive all the way in one go, leave Delhi early morning to reach Nainital or Mukteshwar and stay the night there and next day leave at about 4AM as drive from Nainital to Munsiyari will take atleast 10 hours.

Make sure you fill up at Thal as there are no petrol pumps after that if I remember correctly. I may be wrong on this but if I was you I would fill up at every petrol pump.

Plenty of long stretches with no population.

Do not walk around leaving the car. There are panthers all over the place and they do attack some times. These panthers are not scared of humans and they stalk and attack when they get a chance. Stay inside your car especially at night. Call the police if there is a major problem.

Winters if you want to see snow and Summers if you are trying to escape the heat in Delhi. Trekking route to Milam is closed in winters and a few other places only open in Summers.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is nothing to suggest that such a service exists. Do you have a source?