1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi To Udaipur

Discussion in 'North India' started by Shivam, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Shivam

Shivam New Member

I would like to plan a holiday from Delhi to Udaipur, and before any planning, I would like to get help from forum members so that the holiday goes smooth and nothing gets missed out, and also because I am not too good at planning! Going with an itinerary and a planned road trip would make it easier not just for me, but it would be good for the family as well as they will know what they can look forward to and fit in other things accordingly.
    The help which I require will be put into points, and it would be great if the replies would also be given in the same way.

1. How long does it take from Delhi to Udaipur?

2. What time should we leave for Udaipur from Delhi?

3. Where should we stop on our way to Udaipur, eating places, rest places? Please also mention any places we should visit which may be on the way.

4. What should be the duration of our holiday, i.e., days spent in Udaipur?

5. What things are there to see and do in Udaipur?

6. Are there any places near Udaipur that we should visit?

7. What is the weather going to be like in April/May?

2. Anurag

Anurag Member

1. I am only assuming that you will be traveling by car or bus, and therefore, so Delhi to Udaipur would take you 10-13 hours to reach.

2. If you can manage the whole stretch which is 670km, then you should leave early morning like 4.30am or 5 am, to skip any traffic especially the Delhi traffic. The same will apply if you wish to have a night halt for the same traffic reasons.

3. The places which I recommend for you to stop at are Hotel Highway King, Cafe Coffee Day (both are on the Delhi-Jaipur highway). For the Jaipur-Ajmer highway, I would suggest Chokha Punjab, Hotel Royal Celebration Inn, and Kanchan Kesari Village.
    For places to stop the obvious one is Jaipur, where you can see the famous Jaipur tourist attractions, but you would need at least two days there. Ahead of Jaipur, you can visit the Ajmer dargah and Pushkar.

4. Three days are enough to see Udaipur, to add on you can spend a whole day at Ajmer and Pushkar and three days in Jaipur on your way back to Delhi.

5. There are plenty of things to see in Udaipur from visiting lakes to museums and palaces.
    The list of palaces in Udaipur are City Palace, The Lake Palace, Fateh Prakash Palace and Bagore Ki Haveli.
    Museums in Udaipur include Shilpgram Museum, City Palace Museum, Ahar Museum and Vintage Collection of Classic Car Museum (a must see)
    Lakes in Udaipur to see are Jaisamand Lake, Lake Pichola, Rajsamand Lake and Fateh Sagar Lake.

6. Places to visit near Udaipur are Jaisalmer, Khumbalgarh, Mount Abu, Chittorgarh, Ranakpur and Nagda & Eklingji.

7. The month of April and May will be hot and temperatures would be 36 c.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Shivam! Welcome to the forum!

The distance between Delhi and Udaipur is about 663 kms. If you're taking your own car, it can take you 11 hours, more or less, to reach Udaipur. With public transportation like buses and trains, it can take much longer, at about 13 hours or more.

I would suggest leaving early in the morning to reach Udaipur by early evening. This is more so if you have kids with you, so that it's safer to drive this route or even take public transportation. If it's just you and a group or friends maybe, then you can opt to drive at night time and arrive in Udaipur by morning.

So first, here is the route from Delhi to Udaipur that you have to take:
    • Delhi > Gurgaon > Bhiwadi > Neemrana > Shahpura > Jaipur > Kishangarh > Ajmer > Beawar > Rajsamand > Udaipur.
    If you can manage for a night stop or a halt in Jaipur, then I'd recommend that. It is halfway through Udaipur at about 300 kms so about 5 hours into your journey. You can see the local attractions and have lunch here as well or breakfast, depending on what time of the day you left.

Some of the attractions in Jaipur are:
    • Nahargarh Fort - Originally, this fort was named the Sudarshangarh Fort. Later, it was changed to Nahargarh, which means abode of tigers. This fort was built by Maharaja Jai Singh II in 1734.
    • Amer Fort and Palace - Amer was originally built by the Meenas. However, the fort was built Raja Man Singh during 967 CE. It was then fully expanded by Jai Singh I. The fort has underwent numerous renovations thereafter. The fort overlooks the Maota Lake, which is the main water source of the Amer Palace. Now, the Amer Palace was built using red sandstone and marble. It has four levels, each with its own courtyard. The palace was the residence of the Rajput Maharajas and their families during their reign. The Amer Fort and Palace is located high on a hill, hence some tourists opt to ride an elephant to reach it.
    • Jaigarh Fort - This fort is located on top of the Cheel ka Teela of the Aravalli Range. I've mentioned the Amer Palace before and the Jaigarh Fort and the former are connected by a subterranean passage. It's supposed to be a passageway for the royal family in case of emergencies. This fort was built by Jai Singh II in the year 1726. The fort has a palace complex, armoury, museum and the world's then largest cannon on wheels named the Jaivana.
    • Hawa Mahal - This is also known as the Palace of Winds. It has about 953 small windows, also known as jharokhas. These windows allowed the royal women to peek through and watch the city life without them being seen. This was built in 1799 by Maharaja Pratap Singh. The design of the palace is in the form of Krishna's crown.
    • City Palace - This is a palace complex in Jaipur. It has two main palaces: Chandra Mahal and Mubarak Mahal. The Chandra Mahal is now a museum although a greater part of it still the residence of the descendants of the royal family. The Mubarak Mahal is also a museum showcasing a variety of the royal costumes. There are other structures as well, like the Maharani Palace which was the official residence of the royal queens. The Govind Dev Ji Temple is also inside the palace complex, it's dedicated to Lord Krishna.
    • Jal Mahal - This is also known as the Water Palace. This is a palace located in the middle of the Man Sagar Lake. It was renovated and enlarged by Maharaja Jai Singh II. The palace was built in the Rajput and Mughal styles of architecture. You can also find cenotaphs and chhatris dedicated to the Kachwaha Rulers of Jaipur.
    • Rambagh Palace - This was the former residence of the Maharaja of Jaipur and it's now a hotel. During the reign of Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh, this was a hunting lodge. But in the early 20th Century, it was converted into a palace. In 1921, Sawai Man Singh II made the palace his official residence.
    • Birla Mandir - This is also known as the Laxmi Narayan Temple. This is located in the Moti Dungari Hill. It was built during the year 1988 by the Birla Group of Industries. It's dedicated to both the Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. It's best visited at night when its white marble structure glows with the evening light.
    • Jantar Mantar - This was built by Jawai Singh and completed in the year 1734 CE. The Jantar Mantar has about 19 instruments including the largest sundial in the world known as the Samrat Yantra. These instruments can measure time, predict ellipses, determine celestial altitudes and ascertain declination of the planets.
    Now, here are some restaurants around Jaipur:
    • Peshawri - They have North Indian cuisine. Their dal bukhara is a must-try. Their address is: ITC Rajputana Hotel, Palace Road, Gopalbari, Jaipur.
    • Replay - They have North Indian, Continental, Chinese, Italian and Mexican cuisines. Try out their dahi kabab, manchow soup and cheese balls. Their address is: SB 57, 5th Floor, Ridhi Tower, Opposite SMS Stadium, Tonk Road, Jaipur.
    • On The House - They have Italian, Continental and Mexican cuisines. Try out their basa grilled fish, a best seller among guests. Their address is: E 145, Ramesh Marg, Behind Talwalkars, C Scheme, Jaipur.
    If you decide to stay on Jaipur, there are numerous hotels there. But if it's just a stopover, then consider visiting one of these attractions and then eating in the city as well. There are plenty to choose from aside from the ones I have posted.

Another stopover can be at Ajmer/Pushkar. In here, you can also visit attractions like the following:
    • Pushkar Lake - This is referred to as the Tirtha Raj in Hindu scriptures. It has about 52 bathing ghats and you'll especially find pilgrims around November, for the Kartik Poormina. Around the lake, there are about 500 Hindu temples that you can visit. And yes, a day won't be enough to fully explore Pushkar because it does have plenty to offer. It is also believed that the lake can cure people off skin diseases and sins.
    • Man Mahal - This was built by Raja Man Singh I for his guests and as a sort of retreat palace whenever he's in Pushkar. This is now a hotel though and is under the Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation. It is also the largest hotel and palace complex in Pushkar.
    • Brahma Temple - This is a temple dedicated to Brahma and it's believed to be over 2,000 years old already. The current structure though was built in the 14th Century.
    Here are some restaurants around Pushkar:
    • La Pizzeria - This is mainly an Italian restaurant. Try out their mixed vegetable pizza. Their address is: Varah Heritage Street, Chhoti Basti, Pushkar 305022.
    • Honey and Spice - They mostly have Asian dishes. Their salads are crowd favourites. Their address is: Main Market Street, Laxmi Bazaar, Pushkar 305022.
    • The Laughing Buddha Cafe - They mostly have Indian dishes. Their veggie burger is delicious. Their address is: Near Gau Ghat, Pushkar 305022.
    For exploring Udaipur, two to three days would be enough. However, if you're going for a camel safari, then consider extending your stay to have an overnight in the desert camp there. With exploring other cities like Jaipur and Pushkar, you'd have to allot another two to three days for each of them.

Here are the attractions in Udaipur:
    • City Palace Complex - This palace complex was built by Maharana Udai Singh II in 1553. However, it took over 400 years to complete the palace complex. The palace complex has about 11 smaller palaces inside. The Badi Mahal, also known as the Garden Palace, is the most exotic and is centrally located. The Fateprakash Palace is now a heritage hotel and it also has a crystal gallery showcasing crystal chairs, tables and other items.
    • Monsoon Palace - This is also known as the Sajjan Garh Palace. This was built by Sajjan Singh during the year of 1884. The name was derived from the main purpose of the palace, which was supposed to be an observing point for the monsoon clouds. Now though, it is managed by the Forest Department of the Government of Rajasthan.
    • Jag Mandir - This palace is located in one island of the Lake Pichola. The palace was constructed by three Maharajas: In 1551, by Maharana Amar Singh, then by Maharana Karan Singh (1620–1628) and finally completed by Maharana Jagat Singh I during his reign. The palace complex has the Gul Mahal, courtyard, Zenana Mahal and Kunwar Pada Ka Mahal.
    • Bohra Ganesh Temple - The temple is about 350 years old already. It is a temple dedicated to the Lord Ganesha. The Annakoot Festival is celebrated here annually which has visitors all over the country going to the temple.
    • Kumbhalgarh Fort - This present structure was built by Rana Kumbha during the 15th Century. Originally though, it is believed that it was King Samprati of the Maura Age that commissioned the building of the fort. The walls of the fort are over 38 kms long, making it the second largest wall after the Great Wall of China.
    • Lake Pichola - This is an artificial freshwater lake built by Banjara in 1362 AD. It was later enhanced and enlarged by Maharana Udai Singh. This lake has four islands namely: Jag Niwas, Jag Mandir, Mohan Mandir and Arsi Vilas. In here, you can find various palaces and structures through the four islands.
    • Fateh Sagar Lake - This was constructed by Maharaja Jai Singh during 1687. It was renovated and enlarged by Maharana Fata Singh during 1889 though.
    • Ambrai Ghat - For photography enthusiasts, this is a haven for them as it offers a panoramic view of the city. The City Palace is also directly opposite this ghat.
    Things to do in Udaipur:
    • Udaipur Ropeway - This was built in 2008 to enable pilgrims to reach the Karni Mata Temple at the top of the Machhala Hill. You get a panoramic view of the city at the top. There are also restaurants on top of the hill.
    • Gulab Bagh Zoo - This is the largest garden in Udaipur at about 100 acres of land. The garden has numerous roses, a library, palace and toy train. Aside from that, there's a mini-zoo housing caged animals.

I've mentioned Jaipur and Pushkar already. Other places nearby Udaipur are: Mount Abu (98 kms), Chittorgarh (102 kms), Ranakpur (75 kms) and Delwara (28 kms).

During April and May, it's going to be hot as it's summer season. Temperatures range between 23°C to 44°C. Wear light clothing and bring an umbrella to shield yourself from the sun. If you can postpone your trip until the winter season, do so as the weather during summer can be harsh and hot, especially humid.

I hope this helps.:)