1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desert Festival

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Daira, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Daira

Daira New Member

I just learned about the Desert Festival that will be taking place next month and I am so sorry I didn't find out about it sooner. It's too late to plan my trip to see it this year, but my next trip to India will definitely include time at this festival.

2. Travguy

Travguy Member

I planned to visit the Desert Festival this year and I hope I can make it despite my busy schedule. I believe it is one of a kind with hundreds of camels from all over the region being brought in for races. There is a camel trading day as well which will be interesting to watch.

3. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

Dear friend in the Desert Festival there is no camel trading,it's only as below..Camel and other animals trading is in the Pushkar fair.Which will be in November 08-14..in 2016 & 28 October to 02 November 2017.

Desert festival 2017 will be 08-10 Feb.

Desert Festival,--:: It will start in the morning around 09:00am with very beautiful procession full of colours from the lake to the stadium.In this procession you can see many things like in photos.Decorated many camels,dancers,women,men and lot more.In the stadium there will be many competitions like Mr.Desert competition,Miss Desert competition,moustache competition,beard competition,Turban tying competition & worlds only registered camel mounted band (Indian army camel band),in the evening there will be cultural programme performed by the famous folk artist.Day-02 there will be again many different competition like camel decoration,camel polo (worlds only registered camel polo teams,army vs civilians),women dress competition in traditional Rajasthani dresses,camel Races.In the afternoon camel tattoo show,Dancing camels on army and etc.,evening cultural programmes.Day-03 in the evening many different competitions at sand dunes in the desert. 1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 22.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg

4. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

12.jpg 99.jpg 123.jpg 8.jpg

Please feel free to contact for any information,enquiry or query,regarding anything related to traveling to Rajasthan/Jaisalmer,from accommodation to transport,travel,visits,food or monuments.

Thanks
    M.Nayak

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This is a beautiful cultural event. I was not entirely aware of it, or what happened, but now I am thinking about going. I might be able to schedule for it. Does anyone know how crowded it gets? How far in advance should I book accommodations?

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

The Desert Festival in Jaisalmer happens during the month of February. It is located exactly at the Sam Sand Dunes which are 42 kms away from Jaisalmer. It is an event showcasing cultural shows, camel races, turban tying competitions, dances and many more. It is a three-day event full of colour, music and good vibes. Many tourists flock to the Sam Sand Dunes to witness this annual event.

The history of the Desert Festival can be traced back to a prediction made by Lord Krishna that there will be a successor from the Yadav Community that will set up his kingdom in Trikuta Hill. It was in the year of 1196 that Lord Krishna's prediction came true and Rawal Jaiswal came to Jaisalmer. A celebration was then organised throughout the kingdom and now, every year, the Desert Festival is an essential event happening annually in the Jaisalmer's Sand Dunes.

The festival starts with a procession in the Jaisalmer Fort until the Poona Singh Stadium. The locals dress in costumes and dance as well. The different dances are the Gair and Fire Dance, the Kalabaz Acrobatic Acts and the Langhas and Manganiars Folk Dance.

Camel competitions are also a main spectacle of the event. Ranging from camel polo, camel formation, gymnastics on camel's back and many more.

The festival ends on the full moon with the Rajasthani Folk Concert. There's an air force display, cricket match and parachuting as well.

Tourists can enjoy sumptuous food on stalls. They can buy handicrafts and other souvenirs as well. Camping and safaris are also added attractions.

Have fun!