1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Hotels Have Kitchenettes In India

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by GinaMax, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

In the US, most hotels have a small kitchenette in each room. This is usually a sink, a fridge and a microwave. When I travel, I eat out very rarely to save money. I am a little bit of a health nut, and I am a stickler on food safety. I was just thinking about making my own food in India, and it left me curious. Do most hotels in India have rooms equipped with a kitchenette?

Admin likes this.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

You will find these in Western style hotels. But, to be sure, you will need to ask in advance at the hotels you are thinking of booking. Even in the US, there are hotels you would expect to have those conveniences but do not. Many are phasing out the in-room microwaves.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Usually when I book through major websites it says what is included in the room and whether it has a kitchenette or not. If there doesn't seem to be a listing you could always email the hotel you plan to stay at - usually on their website there will be a contact us form or email address. I've found the answers to a lot of accommodation queries I've had when traveling by just going direct to the hotel source and asking :)

4. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

Why are they phasing out microwaves? I have to say that the microwave is what keeps me alive, and knowing hotels are getting rid of them is quite shocking for me. I guess that just means you have to depend on local restaurants more.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While in all the hotels I've stayed in we've always had some sort of area were we can prepare food, but that's because we've made sure we have by only booking the rooms that says it's got a particular area like that.

It normally says on the website what amenities you can expect, and usually if it doesn't say anything then I wouldn't presume you'd get an area so it's certainly worth asking before you book and pay.

6. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

In most tourist areas you'll definitely find hotels that supply these types of rooms. Just always call ahead or check however you plan on booking, and you should be fine!

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yes, but they are usually found on more expensive ones. So far the cheapest is just a room and a bathroom, and the hotel listings usually give the perks of renting their rooms, such as having great window views, quick access to landmarks, a kitchenette, and even free wifi. All you got to do is browse and pick what suits your needs when searching for online listings, and you're done. It's convenient, and you don't even have to leave your home.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Well, it depends on the hotel and the specific room actually. Some rooms come with its own kitchenette, complete with a microwave, a fridge, a sink and sometimes, even a stove. Basically, you would need to ask the hotel staff for a room like this. I think it's the smaller hotels that don't have this, based on my experience. But with luxury or bigger hotels, you're bound to have this features and amenities. Some even have its own kettle for boiling water, perfect for people who love drinking coffee.

Other hotels can be quite picky as well. You cannot bring certain food items or cooking equipment in their rooms. But with others, they're more lenient as long as it's under their guidelines. We once brought our own rice cooker on a trip, this is local only though. We even brought our own gallon of water just to save money. The hotel staff didn't mind as well that we brought these things.

I hope this helps! Just make sure to read your hotel's guideline and ask beforehand. Good luck!