1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Need Any Special Shots?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Aja, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Aja

Aja Member

I was just wondering if you have to get any special immunization when you are traveling to India? More specifically, I would be travelling from Germany to India. Is there anything special that I would need to request?

2. artyarson

artyarson New Member

I don't know every single one but Hepatitis A and B are definitely on the list. A tip: don't try to go fast through the vacination process when you receive the whole list. It's pretty dangerous to the organism and may weaken the whole immune system.

3. Jani

Jani New Member

Do you have to show verification that you have had all of your shots? Or is it just in your best interest to get all of your shots? If that's the case, I will have to search and find out where I have my shot record.

4. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I think it all depends from the country you're traveling from. For some countries the yellow fever vaccination is a must. Now if you're going to South India is advisable you take malaria medications, I would also say Hep A and B and tetanus (this is not only for India but everywhere else), I also heard that if you plan to stay more than a month in India rabies vaccine is also recommended (don't aks me why, I just read this somewhere).

Hope this helps!

DhongiBaba likes this.
  5. oneself

oneself New Member

Ask your doctor what vaccines and medicines you need based on how long you are staying and what you will be doing in India. Also as genreal rule Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B are the ones which you should take for sure.

Have a great trip in India.

6. Aja

Aja Member

Good advice! I certainly wouldn't want to remember India as a place where I contracted some incurable disease. I will be sure to have my doctor check my shot records, to see if I am up to date.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The USA travel health website says that your routine shots should be up to date, and recommend Typhoid and Hep A for most travellers too. Others that were recommended depending on the nature of your trip and what you may be doing included Hep B, Malaria and Rabies. The site noted there was no yellow fever risk in India just in case anyone was concerned about getting that shot.

8. Skitmaker

Skitmaker New Member

The few vaccines you should consider are tetanus, typhoid and Hepatitis A. Depends on where you're going, you might need a vaccine for yellow fever, typhoid and Hep B as well. For malaria, you can just take oral drugs for the duration of your stay; ask your doctor and pharmacist about that. I haven't keep up to date since I return from the UK, so I can't recommend the type of anti-malarial tablets you should take for India, sorry.

9. Annette

Annette Member

I would think it's really just in your own best interest to be vaccinated against diseases you may come into contact with. You may also need medication to protect against malaria and traveler's diarrhea, too.

10. Jani

Jani New Member

Traveler's diarrhea? Oh, never heard of that. Is that something that happens when you drink the water is a strange place? Or is India's water safe to drink, no matter where you go?

11. lstryhrn

lstryhrn New Member

Essentially they're concerned if you've come from a Yellow Fever area, and should have both the book + stamp to prove vaccination, and of course have had the vaccination. Of course if you've not been to those countries, then it's not as important. They recommend not getting the Yellow Fever vaccination for India.

The other concern is Malaria. Below 2000m it exists throughout the country. Unfortunately there's no vaccination, and some strains are even resistant to some drugs. You'll need to look at what area you're going to, and then find out if it's worth getting a drug to take while in that area (they're simple tablets). Your GP or travel doctor can advise.

Personally if there's a risk of Malaria, I take the pills. They're cheap, don't seem to give me side effects, and I've seen people who have had Malaria and would rather not take that risk.

12. Annette

Annette Member

Yep! Traveler's diarrhea comes from drinking foreign water and getting sick as a result. I can't remember the name of the antibiotic, but there is one in particular that works great as a Traveler's diarrhea preventive. You have to tell your doctor you plan on going out of the country soon and he can prescribe it for you.

13. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Good question this is a topic I was curious about too however my mother in law just came from India recently and i don't remember her getting any shots at all. But I would contact the Indian embassy or the consulate and ask just to be sure.

14. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

I'm not sure the exact shots you would need. You probably should get your hepatitis shots A and B as a general rule of thumb while travelling. When I went to India, that's the only shots I had and I was fine. You should probably consult with your doctor to figure this out.

15. Skitmaker

Skitmaker New Member

Traveler's diarrhea also comes from eating foreign foods that your stomach is not used to, and will result in a bad trip to the toilet. I think the antibiotics for that is co-trimoxazole (or Biseptol in my country). I'd check with the doctor and maybe bring a few packs of instant noodles just in case you have a tender stomach.

Annette likes this.
  16. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

It was advised that we get the Hepatitis A and B (which we already had) and medication for traveler's diarrhea. I'm not sure that India has Yellow Fever and it was never recommended to us.

17. Jani

Jani New Member

Is yellow fever still a 'thing'? I thought they had found a cure or preventative shots for that. However, there are always new illnesses creeping up.

18. Jani

Jani New Member

Just curious - are natives usually immune to their own water, or do they just know not to drink it? I hear that you shouldn't drink water in any foreign country, and I wasn't sure why.

19. freakoid

freakoid New Member

Best thing would be to ask experts

20. JKewe

JKewe New Member

I'm curious about the malaria drugs - I think you have to take pills as a preventative, but they can make you very sick. Has anyone had experience with this?

21. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion keep some medicines for fever, weakness, stomach disorders and indigestion.