1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephanta Caves

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by jnorth88, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Elephanta Caves are a Unesco World Heritage site. They have some excellent and well preserved carving from ancient India, depicting many Hindi Gods. I have been recommended to visit the site, and want to incorporate it into my itinerary. But I would love to know some information about the area.

Is this close to restaurants or shopping, or far away? Does it take a day to see, a half-day, longer? Is the site crowded with tourists?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

When I busted it wasn't top crowded... But, there were some tourists there. It's not that far away and they're are always people selling things at any tourist location in India also many scammers... So, be careful. I recommend visiting it's a wonderful and historical site. I'm sure you won't regret it... Unless, you end up getting scammed by an individual vendor.

3. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

The caves are on an island about 45 minutes from the Mumbai coast. Just make sure you negotiate with the ferry operators as they tend to overcharge. Apart from this, the caves themselves are pretty vast and have very dark nooks, so preferably stay with a group. Also beware of monkeys in the area!

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Thanks. That is just what I wanted to know. It's great to hear about the monkeys.. I have encountered them at other sites, and was surprised by how aggressive they can be. If the caves are dark, do you recommend bringing a flashlight? I have several small led flashlights that would be perfect.