1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploring The Delhi Ridge

Discussion in 'North India' started by HIraeth, Oct 17, 2015.

1. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

I recently moved to Delhi for my masters education and to be honest, I was quite surprised at how green this "one of the most polluted cities of India" was. Even more surprised to find the expansive forest that sprawls across North Delhi, popularly known as the Ridge. I was told this was under the Reserved Forests of India category and most of it is barred from public entry.

However, close to my university, there is a part of this forest that open to public visitations. On my first month here, I went with a couple of friends to explore this forest land in Dilli and was surprised to find old ruins, something that looked like it might have once been used as a shelter for prisoners. We even came across a watch tower that gave us a beautiful view of the place. There are little sitting arrangements with stand alone eateries and snack sellers scattered around the place for you to lounge at if you get tired, only up to a certain area though, beyond which the forest just goes on with its formidable tangles and undulating ground.

These are not attractions that you will find on any tourist map. But if you are a nature lover and love the thrill of a possible adventure, I highly suggest a visit to the Ridge. (Winter would definitely be the best time.)

Tanmaya and briannagodess like this.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I read that most of the forest is really close for public visits but you are extremely lucky to have visited the parts that are open for viewing. I didn't know that there was a watch tower in the ridge. That certainly sparked up my interest. And that there are also eateries around the area. I imagined it being secluded without any commercial stalls. It's good that they allowed food tenants to venture into the area. I hope to visit the ridge one day. It seems like a nice place to relax and lounge in with nature.

3. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Oh you absolutely must! If you happen to visit Delhi, come to the Delhi University area and ask anyone (particularly a student) for directions to the Ridge and they will tell you. The area I speak of is open to the public but not as an attraction, so I wouldn't say that it's a commercial spot with commercial eateries. And that's the best part. Early in the morning, you will find people out for morning walks and exercises along the roads running through the Ridge. The eateries I speak of are mostly vendors who take advantage of this crowd and sell snacks and drinks during these specific hours. At any rate, none of this has compromised the serenity of the place. It's as pristine as you would expect a forest to be. I do hope you visit here when you're in the city!

briannagodess likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I liked that you said winter would be the best time to visit. Sometimes when I'm looking for things to do on travels that are 'outdoorsy', a lot of them are limited by winter and poor weather. It makes me happy to know that as a nature lover, if I was to head to India in the winter I could still have my fix of outdoor beauty by going there.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I sure do hope to visit that place! We are planning our first trip abroad as a family and India is on the list. Let's hope I convince my husband to go to India.:) I think my son would especially love the Ridge. He enjoys nature, birds, trees and flowers. We always try to go the nearby park from our house everyday. So I'm pretty sure he will enjoy the Ridge. Is the place kid friendly though? Is it okay to bring kids around there?

6. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

The place is safe for children, yes, as long as you stick to the areas along the main road and the sitting areas. It would be best if you didn't wander to deep in or away from the main path. The forest gets pretty thick and there is no knowing what insects and creatures may be lurking in the vegetation there. But otherwise, many parents bring their kids to walk and jog in the mornings to the Ridge so that's not an issue at all. It gets pretty cold in winter so i would suggest you to keep that in mind.

7. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

I read that most of the forest is authentically close for public visits but you are profoundly fortuitous to have visited the components that are open for viewing. I didn't ken that there was a time exhibiter tower in the ridge. That certainly sparked up my interest. And that there are withal eateries around the area. I imagined it being secluded without any commercial stalls. It's good that they sanctioned pabulum tenants to venture into the area. I hope to visit the ridge one day. It seems akin to a nice place to relax and lounge in with nature.

8. artyarson

artyarson New Member

I love being in the forest. So, I'd definitely put this onto my shortlist (not that short actually) of places to visit!