1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Recommendations In Gwalior

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by VipulKumar, Jul 18, 2015.

1. VipulKumar

VipulKumar New Member

I will going to Gwalior next week for the first time, and generally wherever I go I have a problem with the food and always get recommendations from people. So I need some food recommendations in Gwalior so I can indulge in the local or best food available there.

2. KK

KK Member

Nothing really special about the area as most places are dirty. The only recommendations I would give are Chotelaal Kachori who sell samosas and kachoris and also in Sarafa Bazaar where you get the ladoo wala's ladoo.
    These are the only two places which I found decent otherwise stick to the food provided by the hotel.

3. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

If you're a vegetarian you will love Gwalior, but you'll find the typical samosas, kachories, etc. with any street vendor in Naya Bazaar. In here you can also find Gulab Jamuns (these are amazing, try them). Now in the Phoolbagh region you can find chowpatti and in Achelashwar where you'll find many Indian specialties. All these are places where you'll eat amazing food for a very good price. PLease let us know of any other little secrets you find once you're in there!

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had to Google Gulab Jamuns as I had never heard of them before - but they sound phenomenal! I love recommendations for foods to try on my vacations (honestly, food is such a big way of connecting with a culture, to me!) so I appreciate the tip!

5. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

I always keep a journal for different countries, and jot down people's recommendations - just in case I ever go there! So, definitely appreciate the feedback on this kind of stuff. Especially restaurants. I may not look like a porker, but I sure as hell love food!!

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Here are my recommendations:

Vegetarian Foods:

1. Poha. It is flattened or puffed rice, originating from Gwalior. Typically eaten during breakfast, but can also be made as a snack.
    2. Paneer Pilaf. Traditionally made with meat, vegetarians made a vegetable version of this.
    3. Samosas and Katchories. The best of Samosas and Hatcheries can be found in Gwalior. They are made of potatoes and other vegetables.

Non Vegetarian Foods:

1. Kebabs. Most consumed by people there, need I say more?
    2. Biryani. Made using either chicken or button, with spices unique within each place.

I hope this helps!

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That sounds like me - I literally have a word document on my laptop that says "Travel Plans - Food" that I keep recommendations and suggestions specifically for food/cooking stuff. I also have one for other sightseeing places, but I have an entire document dedicated to food. It's such an important way of experiencing a culture, and I think first-hand recommendations are usually some of the best!