1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Street food in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Man of India, May 1, 2015.

1. Man of India

Man of India New Member

My passions include traveling in different parts of country and the best part of it is the food. I am a big foodie and absolutely love eating food be it restaurant food or street food, I am always ready to eat.
    I recently went to Mumbai, and that is a hub for food especially street food and this is what my first post is about the best street food in Mumbai.
    Street food is found practically everywhere in Mumbai, be it on a bus, on the street on a small stall, in a corner shop, outside bus stands and railway stations, you name the place and you will get street food there. It is not just convenient to buy street food but it is mainly because it tastes so good.

So food lovers here is a list of the best street food in Mumbai.

Kebabs
    Kebabs are a popular item in Mumbai and are easily found at food outlets or stalls. However the best kebabs to eat are the ones from Sarvi which is on Dimtimkar Road. If anyone of you have eaten kebabs from Karims then these are very similar to them, crisp on the outside and really soft from the inside, so soft that the kebabs literally melt in your mouth.

Pani Puri

Ah the famous pani puri also known as gol guppas are also a hit in Mumbai. Pani puri is found in every corner or say even every half a km in Mumbai. Although you will love pani puri from any vendor in Mumbai, but there is a special place called Elco Pani Puri Centre who service pani puri which you make yourself and for the health conscious well their pani puri water is made with mineral water.

Chicken Tikka Rolls
    Another favorite with no veg people is chicken tikka rolls and that too only at Bademiya and the best place about this is that it is open until 3am. The place is so popular with its chicken tikka rolls that even at the closing time at 3am you would see a queue there.

Bhel puri
    Bhel puri is a street food which has been eaten by nearly every person in Mumbai and make sure if your in Mumbai you dont miss out on it either. Bhel puri from each vendor will taste different as they have their different ways of making and mixing it with their own spices. The popular joints which sell the best bhel puri are Sharmajee's and Bhadshahs which are both on Chowpatty beach.

Kheema Pav

Keema Pav is another item for the best street foods in Mumbai and the best is only found in Olympia which is a coffee house. As the name suggests it is keema in a pav which is made with special masalas and something different which you generally find in places in India. The place is open from 7am till 12am so be sure to fit some time to go and try their keema pav.

Vada Pav
    The best vada pav is found at Ashok Vada Pav which is near Dadar. Vada pav is basically a potato filling covered in gram flour and then deep fried, this put into a bun with spices and chutney's.
    Ashok Vada Pav have been seeling vada pav's for 35 years now and it is a hot favourite place for many including celebrities.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Chahal likes this.

2. Pravin

Pravin New Member

What about the famous Mumbai vada pav?

Chahal likes this.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

The greatest sin one could commit is to write about Mumbai street food and not mentioning vada pav. This sin cannot be washed away even after a thousand dips in Ganga. The only way to achieve nirvana for you is to correct your mistake and add vada pav up there in your post :)

BadBoy likes this.
  4. Prits

Prits Member

I haven't been to Mumbai so have only heard of vada pav. If I am not wrong then its basically a potato filling fried like a pakora and then put into a bread roll with chutney....is that correct?

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

@Prits some people add different types of chutneys to make it even more delicious, garlic etc.. its put in pav ( similar to the bread buns we have for pav bahajis).
    BTW are you preeti_20 from IBF?

6. Man of India

Man of India New Member

Oops, totally slipped my mind, although it is hard to forget about the famous vada pav in Mumbai! Will add it in a day or two.

7. Prits

Prits Member

Yes I am, well noticed....:)

But I am afraid I don't know who you are? I tried guessing but I seriously don't have a clue!

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Well,i remember your style of writing....i am Rishabh:cool:.

9. Gayatri

Gayatri New Member

Missing out vada pav, pure sin! It is something which every person living in Mumbai and tourist has eaten. I remember going Mumbai and having vada pav for all three meals.

10. Man of India

Man of India New Member

Ok guys I get the idea!
    I have now added vada pav to the list...:)

11. Preet

Preet New Member

Ah the famous vada pav, when in Maharashtra you can not get enough of vada pav and the best thing is that every shop or place you go to the taste will be different because of the different ways it is made. A must try for a person visiting Mumbai.

12. Rudra

Rudra New Member

I haven't been to Mumbai and don't see any signs of going there either, but this vada pav seems good to eat, anywhere in Delhi where you can get this?

13. Shitish

Shitish New Member

Vada pavs are the ultimate dish to have, but don't go for the posh places which sell vada pav, as they wont taste as good or even authentic, it is best to go to the street vendors.

14. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

I'd like to add the oft-forgotten Bhaji pao as well. A slight variation of the vada pao, this one has batter-fried slices of potato in between two halves of a bun and the most delicious spicy and tangy chutneys with tamarind and chillies. You will be able to find this at any place that sells vada pao. I actually end up choosing this every time I visit India, because I often find the traditional vada pao too spicy for my taste. :D

15. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

I relish to integrate the oft-forgotten Bhaji pao as well. A remote variation of the vada pao, this one has batter-fried slices of potato in between two moieties of a bun and the most dainty spicy and tangy chutneys with tamarind and chillies. You will be able to find this at any place that sells vada pao. I genuinely end up culling this every time I visit India, because I often find the traditional vada pao too spicy for my taste.

16. Mindy

Mindy Member

Like the others here, I was intrigued by the sound of the vada pav. I don't believe I've ever tried anything like that. It certainly sounds like something I will be looking to try!

17. Rye

Rye New Member

Batter fried potatoes on bread with chutney sounds yummy! I definitely have to try this food when I am in India. Potatoes are my favorite becuase it taste great and is so versatile that it can be cooked in different ways, as well as with different foods.

18. Mindy

Mindy Member

I've never heard of that dish. It does sound delicious. I may not wait for a trip to India. I think I am going to do a search for a recipe for that fried potatoes and chutney now!

19. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Wow that sounds delicious. Thank you for such a guide to food. I can't wait to go to India. I have been planning this trip for a year. We are going on our honeymoon. There is so many different things I want to see and do. I don't know where to start or what we will even have time to see. I just want to wake up early and spend all day and night exploring. I know 15 days ins't a lot of time so we will have to pack a lot into a few short days.

20. George

George Member

I personally love street food. I think you have more choices of food to choose from. Walking around shopping and stopping at a street vendor for a snack is fantastic. When I travel I don't like to spend a lot of time in restaurants ordering food and eating.

21. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'd never heard of vada pav in my life but I looked it up online and it both looks and sounds like something I would love to try!

To me I guess it looks a bit like a veggie burger, almost? But just Indian spiced! Trying new foods is one of my favorite parts of traveling for sure!

22. Street food in Mumbai is great for a quick bite; and is generally preferred by the citizens who live a very fast paced life and do not have time to go for formal lunch at a restaurant. While Vada Pav is the quintessential street food in Mumbai, other popular food items include Dabeli and Kachori. But while eating street food make sure that you eat only in hygienic locations, otherwise you will end up with a bad tummy

23. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Would the kebabs be lamb or goat in Mumbai. I understand it can change based on region. I am fine with either, but some in my party have goats as pets.

24. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I don't even eat street food in my own country. Just recently 23 people became ill from a local street vendor. I might just be paranoid, it is not like that happens every day. I either want to make my own food, or get it at an indoor restaurant where they have access to sinks.

25. marry

marry New Member

Bhelpuri, Vada Pav, and Pav bhaji are also best street dishes in Mumbai for vegetarians, and Kabab, Chicken tikka,Keema Pav are for nonvegetarians.