1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forest Places To Visit In Karnataka

Discussion in 'South India' started by Krusader, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Krusader

Krusader New Member

I am a big nature lover and whenever given the chance I love going out and exploring nature and animals who live in the wild. It not only is a good holiday but it allows me to capture some great images of animals and the greenery. Along with that, it gives a chance to do some trekking and walk through the forests and accomplish something.
    I also try to get my kids to enjoy nature, so they learn about it and know how important it is to us and the animals.

This year we plan to go South India and want to know about the forest places to visit in Karnataka.

I have never been to the south part of India, so any information I get will be from the forum and its members I will be going by that.

Plase, provide a list of the forest places to visit in Karnataka and also state whether trekking is possible and in which forests we would be able to see some animals.

PrincessTigerLily likes this.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Karnataka is a state full of lots of forests, and there is plenty of wildlife to see too, not too mention the treks are there are endless places to visit for treks. You did not specify the place in Karnataka you are visiting so I have given a brief overview of the forests in Karnataka and mentioned whether you can see any animals there or not and if trekking is possible.

- Anshi National Park is located in Uttara Kannada, and this is suitable for trekking and seeing animals. Some of the animals which you may come across are Malabar Civet, Bonnet Macaque, deer, pangolin and sloth bear, Indian bison, Malabar giant squirrel, elephants, and tigers, and also 200 species of birds.

- Kudremukh National Park is located in the Chikmagalur district. This is just a national park with no trekking, but you can see animals like gaurs, chitals, wild boars and mongoose barking deer, flying squirrels, Langurs, sambhar, Malabar giant squirrels, macaques, and porcupines. (I thought one recommendation of a national park would be good)

- Bilikal Rangaswamy Betta is a trekking location which is located near the Kanakapura town. The trek short and something ideal for you and your kids.

- Skandagiri is located 61km from Bangalore and is an ideal trekking place where you can do a lot of bird watching. Skandagiri is popular for night trekking and watching the sunrise once you reach the top.

- Bheemeshwari is around 58 km from Mandya and is a popular tourist destination near Bangalore. There is a Cauvery River there which is home to the Mahseer fish. At Bheemeshwari, you can do trekking and also may get a chance to see some animals like jackals, crocodiles, elephants, otters, wild boars, monkeys, and leopards, along with many birds like water birds and others such as the kingfisher

PrincessTigerLily likes this.

3. This area of India sounds ideal for me too as I also love animals! Thank you for posing the question, Krusader, and thank you for the answers you gave, Deven.

Do you know how likely you would be to actually see tigers at Anshi National Park? I would really love to see a tiger while I'm in India. Some in another thread have suggested that safari trips would not necessarily yield a glimpse of one, and that a zoo may be the only real way to see one, which is a disappointment to say the least.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Krusader! Welcome to the forum!

Karnataka is a trekker's paradise, with its various dense forests and trails, it's sure to give that adrenaline rush to adventure seekers. You'll find that every region in the state has something to offer for trekkers. It's really hard to choose a few that stand out. But just to give you an idea, here are the best forest places in Karnataka, where it's possible to see animals and do some trekking:

1. Agumbe - This is a small hill station located in the Shimoga District of Karnataka. It is about 357 kms from Bangalore and 24 kms from Shringeri. The rainforest here is dense, wet and high in biodiversity. It is the home to several endangered species of plants and even animals. Agumbe is a part of the Kudremukh National Park though, hence you need a permit to trek in its forests. You can contact the Department of Forestry Officer of the Shimoga Division or the Range Forest Officer of Megaravalli to inquire more about the permit. It's best to hire a local guide who knows the forest well as it's very dense and can be confusing for non-locals. Here are some more other information about the forest:
    • Animals you might see: lion tailed macaque, gaur, Indian bison, barking deer, king cobra, flying lizard, cane turtle and Malabar trogon.
    • What else you might see: waterfalls, peaks and the only Rainforest Research Station in the country.
    • Trivia: Malgudi Days was set in Agumbe Forest. It is a television series in the year of 1985 which was based off a novel by RK Narayan.
    • Good to know: Leeches are common in the area so wear long, tight bottoms. Bring some coconut oil or alcohol to remove the leech. Although it's better to identify its mouth, at the smaller end of the leech and then slide your fingernail onto the wound. This will dislodge the leech and then you can flick it away from your skin.

2. Dandeli - This is a town in the Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka. It is about 73 kms away from Hubli and 462 kms from Bangalore. The forests here are dense, with good cover and it has a tropical highland climate. It is a part of the Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, which is the second largest sanctuary in Karnataka. Dandeli is a great place for adventure seekers, with its numerous water sports and adventure sports. Aside from that, you can also do trekking, nature trailing and crocodile spotting in here. Here are some other information about Dandeli:
    • Animals you might see: antelopes, bears, gaurs, deers and black panthers.
    • What else you might see: temples, caves, peaks and dam.
    • Trivia: There was no school in the town until 1936.

3. Sakleshpur - This is a small hill station in the Hassan District of Karnataka. It is about 240 kms from Bangalore and about 132 kms from Mangalore. It is listed 18th as one of most diverse spots in the world in terms of flora and fauna. It is surrounded by dense forests and receives the greatest rainfall out of all the towns in the state. Here are some other information about the town:
    • Animals you might see: leopard, chital, gaur, Malabar giant squirrel and wild elephants.
    • What else you might see: temples and view points.
    • Trivia: Sakleshpur was part of the Green Route. This is the railway segment joining Sakleshpur and the Kukke Subramanya road junction. The railway station was discontinued until 2007, when it was started using again. Now, there are two trains plying from this route, one from Bangalore and the other via Mysore. Before that, this was a popular trekking route consisting of waterfalls, bridges and tunnels. You can still try the trek but only after monsoon season. And make sure that there are no scheduled trains.
    • Good to know: Where dull or earthy coloured clothes in case you encounter the wild elephants.

4. Ramanagara - This is a town and the headquarters of the Ramanagara District of Karnataka. It is just about 50 kms from Bangalore, making it one of the nearest trekking destinations in the area. The treks in this area are mostly rocky and dotted with huge rocks. It can also be finished within a day so a home trip is possible. Some other information are:
    • Animals you might see: long-billed vultures, yellow-throated bulbul and sloth bears.
    • What else you might see: hills, lakes and closepet granites.
    • Trivia: Ramanagara is home to several species of endangered birds. The Ramadevarabetta Vulture Sanctuary is actually a reserve created to help protect these bird species.

5. Savandurga - This hill station is amongst the largest monolith hills in Asia. It is about 60 kms from Bangalore, so it attracts a lot of trekking enthusiasts. The forest here is dry, scrub and deciduous and has a wide variety of plants and trees. The hills very suitable for beginners and children as its slopes are gentle enough for them. You can finish the trek in one day, which is again, perfect for beginners and children. Here's some more information about Savandurga:
    • Animals you might see: yellow-throated bulbul, white-backed vulture, sloth bear and leopard.
    • What else you might see: rivers, dam, temple and caves.
    • Trivia: Megalithic burial urns have been found in the are.

I hope this helps. Have fun trekking!

:)