1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting out of Leh

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LeslieIsaacs, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LeslieIsaacs

LeslieIsaacs New Member

Hi All
    As part of a 7 week trip to Northern India this Sept/Oct, my girlfriend & I are planning to do the srinagar to Leh route. After that, do we have to go back via Srinagar to the rest of India, or are there buses going south from Leh?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Les

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is an airport at Leh where you can take a flight to Delhi or Chandigarh besides some other destinations. You can also get a bus to Srinagar or Manali or wherever you want really.

Route from Leh to Manali is more scenic in my personal opinion.

3. LeslieIsaacs

LeslieIsaacs New Member

Since posting my question I have learnt that there is a bus from Ley to Manali. Is that recommended?

4. Admin

In what respect?

It is not comfortable even by Indian standards so you need to have nerves of steel for that bus if thats what you meant to ask.

5. Admin

Calling it a night, its 1AM here.

6. LeslieIsaacs

LeslieIsaacs New Member

I guess I should have asked this - what are the rewards if that trip, and are they worth the discomfort?

7. Admin

If you are going to see some of the lakes and monasteries around Leh while you are in Leh it kind of does it all, Manali Leh highway has its own charm but being in a bus you cannot just stop any where. It would be a good idea to go by road if you are driving a 4X4 but not too sure about the bus.

Dont miss the day tours to some of the lakes and may be stay a night or two at one of those tent accommodations.

8. LeslieIsaacs

LeslieIsaacs New Member

OK, I like the sound of that (tours to lakes, tent accommodations) - presumably that will all be on offer from Ley? What sort of cost?

9. Admin

Have a look at Leh, Ladakh travel guide we have on our forum to see where all you would like to go. There are pictures as well to give you an idea what those places that are mentioned, look like. For prices of accommodation try booking dot com and search with name of the place and it should bring hotels available in the area.

Also have a look at the Manali -Leh highway guide to see if you would like to rent a motor bike and go that route.

10. Dinesh Patel

Dinesh Patel New Member

Yes rental motor bike will be suitable for you to travel there. There are many bike rentals companies are available with good price. Wheelstreet provides many types of bike with suitable price. You and your girl friend will travel there easily by a rental bike.