1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Ever Been In A Tough Situation While Traveling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 5, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm curious as to whether any of you have had a tough experience when you've travelled. I thankfully haven't experienced much apart from missing flights in countries where I haven't spoken the language, and trying to navigate past that!

I have friends though that have been mugged (this wasn't in India, it was in South America) and that was pretty frightening - having to go to a police station to lodge a police report was apparently pretty frustrating too.

Have you ever gone through anything like that? How did you deal with it, and did it completely ruin your trip or were you able to get past it?

2. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

Well, my experiences abroad, for the most part have always been pretty tame. Although, while traveling in Deutschland - Mannheim, to be exact - I had the misfortune of mistakenly walking into a Bavarian labor rally. As soon as they found out as I was American, by saying, "Excuse me! Sorry!" as I was making my way out, they immediately started threatening me (although it sounded like it). I definitely was not welcome, and felt safe in my retreat at my hotel.

I didn't leave my hotel that whole day, after that incident, but it was just a unique experience. Not as quite as exciting as being mugged, although I try to dress as low-income as possible when travelling alone overseas.

3. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 New Member

Thankfully, I haven't experienced anything like that. I have heard horror stories of being mugged, etc. and I always try to keep this in mind and not make myself a target. Granted, sometimes this can't be avoided, but there are things one can do to help not be a target.

BayouBilly likes this.
  4. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

Thankfully, a lot of the world is full of kind, respectful people. Which is probably why I haven't experienced a good deal of horror stories. The best advise anyone gave me is "look the part" - the ability to avoid attracting attention to yourself.

For me, this isn't a problem. Well, until I hit the nearest pub.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Totally agree with your advice about trying to dress to blend in and not look too flashy. I don't wear jewelry or watches or anything when I travel - nor do I wear things with brand names emblazoned all over them.

I think not only does blending in prevent things like muggings but also means that you're conscious of any local customs/dress code too!

BayouBilly likes this.
  6. Delirium

Delirium Member

Someone tried to steal my laptop in Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

I had just finished eating at one of the airport fast food restaurants. Feeling full, I decided to sit there for a little bit longer and plugged in my earphones and started reading a book (I guess I was quite the target, eh?). My laptop bag was beside me - not on the floor (God forbid I place any of my bags on the floor, they're so dirty), but on the chair beside me. Thing is, when I read a book, I often become somewhat oblivious to what's happening around me, because sometimes I have trouble focusing so I really have to 'dive' into the book, otherwise it'd just be a blur. But it was in a restaurant so I thought it'd be fine to let my guard down. Wrong.

Someone started slowly unzipping my laptop bag from behind my back, and I had absolutely no idea it was happening. Luckily though, the song I was listening to ended, and there was a few seconds gap between the song and the next one. During those few seconds, I could hear what was happening around me and immediately noticed the unzipping sound from my laptop bag. I looked behind and saw this guy wearing a cap crouching behind my chair, looking back at me with the most shocked expression ever, before immediately running away. Shame, I wanted to hit him.

It's hilarious how nobody seemed to notice that someone was trying to steal my laptop. There were two other costumers, a couple (I think), in that restaurant and they said and did absolutely nothing. I don't even think the restaurant staff were paying attention. This is why you shouldn't rely on other people for your security.

BayouBilly likes this.
  7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Talk about perfect timing that the song stopped so you could hear what was going on. It definitely makes me think that most people aren't watching out for others. I have no doubt the would-be criminal got the fright of his life when he locked eyes with you!

8. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

I've noticed that in a lot of places in Asia - in fact, mostly in Asia. It's not like the US, where if someone sees something, they say something.

I don't know if it's because as Americans, we share a common empathy. "Would I want my stuff stolen from this guy? No? Well, I better speak up then!"

There seems to be a general notion in asian countries that someone else's misfortune, is not their business. Even if that same thing might happen to them. Mind blowing.

9. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

The only tough time for me was when my flight was delayed because it was raining and I had to stay the night in Philly. I was very upset because my airline did not give me any hotel room or any sort of discount for a hotel and I was stranded in an airport. I understand things happen when it rains, but this was very light rain. It was so upsetting.

10. Delirium

Delirium Member

I know! If the song ended like 20 seconds later I probably wouldn't have noticed and lost my laptop. Which would be horrible because I keep all sort of important things in it. And yeah, from that moment on I just stopped relying in other people. Realistically speaking, I think most people only really look out for themselves. I don't think most people wouldn't risk their lives for a stranger. If they see someone getting pickpocketed or mugged, most would stay quiet in fear that the thief could be armed and they would be targeted if they were to alert other people or tried to stop them. Like, what if they pulled out a gun and shot me?

I didn't really see it that way. I've always thought of Asians as people who like to play it 'safe'. Like I wrote in my reply to amelia88, there's always an underlying fear of the thief pulling out a gun or a knife on you and possibly fatally injure you. Asians in general are, I think, far more passive compared to, say, Americans, for example. I think it might be the way they were raised or the culture? Because Asian Americans are usually more brave (compared to Asians who live and grew up in Asia), or at least those that I've met (and are friends with).

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I feel like there's something both scary and liberating about realizing that you really have to look after yourself because no one else will. I mean of course, sometimes there are Good Samaritans that will risk their safety to help someone else - but for the most part everyone is looking out for numero uno. When you know that's the case it's kind of a wake up call to make sure you've always got your own back covered! :)

12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That sucks that the airline didn't organize some sort of compensation in the form of hotel accommodations due to the delay. It's never happened to me, but I've had friends who have been delayed and the airlines are usually pretty accommodating with vouchers so that people have some place to stay. After all it's not like they had any choice in the delay!

13. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Once when I was a child, I was traveling with an Austrian family without my parenst (it was a small trip and with family friends) our minivan got stolen while we were in a museum. I was maybe 6 or 7 so all I remember that we waited in the rain, and that I bought myself a small tiger toy with my own pocket money in the museum, so wasn't really interested in the whole stolen-car thing :D

14. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh my goodness, a whole minivan just gone?! That would be my worst nightmare! I've traveled to places and rented a campervan before and was always worried about the possibility of someone breaking into that and either stealing possessions or stealing the van itself - it scares me to think your situation happened outside a museum! Wow...totally unexpected!

innaf93 likes this.
  15. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Yes! and there were all their belongings in the car too. I would never wish this for anyone.

16. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I was stopped at Singaporean customs once. Apparently they're very strict with regards to smelly foods and animal bones. Before I left my country my aunt said she put some food in my bag. I was rushing that time so I just said ok and didn't look anymore. I didn't know she put in some dried fish and pig knuckles.

17. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I have been in a tough situation in an aeroplane that was very close to crash. We all think it is a rough flight but this time we saw a stewardess crying and aeroplane was tilting right and left. People panicking, oxygen masks falling from the ceiling. I was really calm and quiet the whole time and it was before the landing so the pilots managed to land the plane successfully and we were told that there was a problem with one of the engines.

I was okay at the time but I had some problems within my mental health few months after. I guess the shock was greater than I thought.