1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hill Stations Near Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Akshay, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Akshay

Akshay Member

We are planning a family holiday in May which would include myself, my wife and two teenage boys. We are interested in visiting a hill station which is near Delhi and need some recommendations.
    We have been to Kasauli and Shimla and thought maybe this time we can visit Lansdowne or Manali if they are any different if not then please suggest.
    The trip will be for 5 days and a quiet location is preferred.

2. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Lansdowne would be a lot more quieter then Manali or Mussorie etc. I would personally prefer Manali over Lansdowne if I had two teen age boys with me. Manali has much more to offer in terms of natural beauty and also choice of accommodation. Lansdowne on the other hand does not have the usual touristy infrastructure yet.

Akshay likes this.

3. panchabhut

panchabhut New Member

you can also try Kausani or Chail.

Akshay likes this.
  4. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Kausani is a long way from Delhi and so is Manali and both of these places are no where near quiet unless you go to some resort away from the main hustle and bustle for example Apple country resort in Manali and there are a few at Kausani too.

Akshay likes this.
  5. amitsharma1424

amitsharma1424 New Member

Manali is the best option if u wanna travel with family.

Akshay and ChaiNashta like this.
  6. Prits

Prits Member

Every hill station seems very similar but is different in its own way. You can go to any destination Lansdowne or Manali, and to avoid the rush you can get a hotel or resort which is away from the mall area, this way you will have the peace and quiet and also if required can easily go to the local shopping and eating places.

Akshay likes this.
  7. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

No doubt it is a very good choice but it is a long long way from Delhi. This is the only reason people prefer to go to Mussorie or even Shimla from Delhi.

Akshay likes this.
  8. amitsharma1424

Thats True. Because it takes around 12hours travel from chandigarh + 5 more hours from Delhi. But Manali is worth of this much travel

Akshay likes this.
  9. Akshay

Akshay Member

We have decided to go to Manali thanks to your suggestions. I checked the distance and asked a few people and found it would be a very long drive so decided to take a Volvo bus to Manali instead and hire a taxi for site seeing when we get there. This works out more economical too.

Looking forward to my upcoming trip. Thanks every one for your kind suggestion.

10. amitsharma1424

Just a tip: Try to travel to Manikaran from manali if you can. Its also a nice place and there are some hot water springs at manikaran which your boys are really gonna like. As its a religious place, living cost is also very cheap there. Its about 5 hours travel from manali in the district of Kullu

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The drive to Manali is very scenic but I agree it is a lot of driving. Taking a bus instead is a wise decision.Volvo buses are very comfortable aswell. I did not know they had volvo buses plying between Delhi and Manali.

12. amitsharma1424

Yes Admin... Alot of volvo bus services are being operated by Himachal Roadways and by some private roadway companies from Delhi to Manali.

13. Admin

I just checked the HPTDC website and tickets are Rs1300 each but some private companies are offering the same thing for Rs900 for some reason. I dont understand this.

14. amitsharma1424

Really for 900? Cant beleive it.... Coz 500 is the cost for ordinary buses from chandigarh to manali.. So it wont be volvo i am sure.

15. Admin

That is what I thought. Rs1300 looks more reasonable.

16. Akshay

Akshay Member

I have heard of Chail, how would you describe the place as being?

17. Somu

Somu New Member

I have been reading a few posts on the forum and after reading I would suggest something like Spiti.

18. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

The two main states where there are hill stations are Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkand, and within these states people only know of Shimla, Manali, Mussoorie and Nainital, but there are many other places in between which offer the same thing but at less crowded and not known to many travelers.

Have a look at the thread about less known destinations in North India and a post on hill stations in North India.

19. SanjayP

SanjayP New Member

I have read about of Kausani but I don't think it is as popular, is there anything special there or not?

20. Himesh

Himesh New Member

It is actually a popular place to visit. Kausani has some lovely views and provides a 300 km-wide panoramic view of the Himalayan peaks, apart from that there is nothing much to do there, but even the thought of great scenic views is enough for a relaxing holiday.