1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Himachal Pradesh Tour

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Subu, May 8, 2015.

1. Subu

Subu New Member

I am making plans to visit Himachal Pradesh in June and as I would be coming from the south of India I want to see all the major places in the state, as it wont be anytime soon that I will visit North India. I need some guidance to help plan my Himachal Pradesh trip which would cover the major and important places of interest. I have a whole month free for this holiday which I think would be more than enough. In my travels would be my wife and two teenage children.

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Anything in particular regarding attractions or do you want to see a mixture of things like temples, landmarks etc?

3. Harish

Harish New Member

Here are some of the main destinations in Himachal Pradesh, there are others but I am unaware of them and I know other experienced Himachal Pradesh travellers would provide more information on it.

Main places of visit are:

Shimla
    Kullu Manali
    Kasauli
    Kangra

4. Firoz

Firoz New Member

Dalhousie and Kasol is also popular tourist destinations and worth a visit.

5. Subu

Subu New Member

No there is nothing in particular we want to see, a mixture of things would be great from temples, monuments, famous markets, activities, to even seeing natural beauty of the hills.

6. Deven

Deven Member

To add to this list there is Kufri, Spiti and Kaza. I would also suggest Leh, but it depends on how far you want to go out or whether you want to go places near by each other.

7. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

Don't forget to visit to lesser known places around the main destinations like Shimla. Have a look at the thread on lesser known destinations in North India, this thread mentions a lot of places in Himachal Pradesh.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There's lots of destinations in Himachal Pradesh that you can cover in a month's time. Himachal Pradesh is the best state for snow and if you love cold climates, then it's definitely the best vacation spot for you. Temples, hill stations, adventure activities... These are just a few of the things you can do and places you can visit in the state. And if you want to escape the summer heat, then Himachal Pradesh is right there for you. Here's a list of the most popular tourist destinations in Himachal Pradesh:

1. Kullu-Manali. Probably one of the most famous tourist destinations in the state. The Kullu Valley is where you'd find both towns of Kullu and Manali. Some attractions here are:
    • Hadimba Temple. This is a temple dedicated to the Rakshasa Hidimbi Devi.
    • Basheshwar Mahadev Temple. This is dedicated to the Lord Shiva and has intricate stone carvings as well as various idols of Hindu deities.
    • Ma Sharvari Temple. This is a temple dedicated to the Ma Sharvari and offers quite amazing views of the valley.
    • Bijli Mahadev Temple. This is another temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, it has a 60 feet lightning rod which is struck by lightning every year.
    • Vashist Hot Water Springs. This is just 5 kms away from Manali and it is believed to heal certain skin diseases. There are also two temples just around the springs you can visit.
    • Jogini Waterfalls. This is about 2 kms away from the Vashist Hot Water Springs. The trek to reach the waterfalls can be quite challenging though.
    • Solang Valley or Snow Point. Snow activities are done here which is about 2,560 metres above sea level.
    • Beas River. You can have a picnic by the side of the river or if you're adventurous, go for river rafting.
    • Rohtang Pass. It provides great views of the snow-capped mountains but you would need to go there before 11:00 am. Horse rides and skiing are quite popular in here.
    2. Shimla. Another favourite tourist destination as it has a pleasant climate all-year round. Attractions here are:
    • Annandale. This used to be a race course for cricket and polo where the British colonisers used to hold tournaments.
    • Chadwick Falls. It can be visited all-year round although post-monsoon season is when the waterfalls come alive.
    • Shimla State Museum. You can find various collections of artefacts related to the history of the region. The best collection would have to be the coins from different eras and periods.
    • Daranghati Sanctuary. It was only in 1962 when this was declared a sanctuary after being a hunting reserve for the royal family for many years.
    • Naldehra and Shaily Peak. This is about 2,000 metres above sea level and you can view the snow-capped mountains from the peaks.
    3. Dharamshala. Best known as the "Scotland of India" and is famous for its picturesque views of the mountains and the valleys. Attractions here are:
    • Masrur Temples. These rock-cut temples are intricately detailed and you can even find idols of various deities here.
    • Kangra Museum. Artefacts about Tibetan and Kangra culture can be found here and it's a great place to learn more about their history.
    • Kangra Fort. You can find temples, halls and watchtowers inside the fort. This is also where the Katoch Rulers of Kangra once lived.
    • Dal Lake and Kali Temple. So named after the famous same-named lake in Jammu and Kashmir. It's a famous picnic location and the Kali Temple nearby is a famous pilgrimage site.
    4. Dalhousie. The best place to see colonial era styles of architecture. And yes, you can still see the snow-capped mountains as the background here. Attractions are:
    • Dainkund Peak or Singing Hill. At about 2,700 metres above sea level, this can be a treacherous trek. However, the views of the three rivers from the top (Chenab, Beas and Ravi) and the background snow-capped mountain views are all worth it. Don't forget to obtain a permit before visiting it though!
    • Bakrota Hills or The Bald Hills. Wondering about the name? It is from the lack of vegetation in some parts at the peak of the hills.
    • Satdhara Falls. Some believe that this is a healing waterfall.
    • Rang Mahal. You can see the beauty of the combination of Mughal and British architectural design in this palace.
    • Kalatop Wildlife Reserve. This is one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in Himachal Pradesh. It is home to the famous Himalayan Bear and many more species of animals.
    5. Parwanoo. One of the cities in the state where tourism is a major industry. They also rely on their crop production which is quite extensive. Attractions here are:
    • Mughal Gardens. Designed by Nawab Fidal Khan, this is a neatly arranged garden with various flower beds and fountains. A great place for just relaxing and spending some time with your loved ones.
    • Gurkha Fort. Built by Gurkha Chief Amar Singh Thapa, it was supposed to guard them against the British invaders.
    • Apple Orchards. The apples in Parwanoo are exported to various countries. It's just proof that they have some of the best apples in the world.
    • Mansa Devi Temple. Built by Maharaja Gopal Singh as a temple dedicated to Mansa Devi, who is an incarnation of Shakti.
    6. Solan. Do you love mushrooms? I do! I think Solan is the best place for me as it's the "City of Mushrooms" primarily because they produce large amounts of this crop. Some attractions here are:
    • Mohan Shakti National Park. Although there's not much eateries inside, it's still a great place for a picnic, just bring your own drinks and foods. There's some temples as well that you can visit inside.
    • Karol Tibba Peak. A great place for a picnic as well and the trek can be quite easy even for beginners or families.
    • Shoolini Mata Temple. Pilgrims visit this temple every day, it's one of the most popular attractions in the area.
    • Motilal Nehru Central State Library. The only state library in Himachal Pradesh which is why it is definitely a must visit.
    There you go... I think I've covered most of the tourist destinations in the state. I hope this helps you!

Admin likes this.