1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houseboats in Kerala

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by walkingjohn, Nov 28, 2014.

1. walkingjohn

walkingjohn New Member

I will be in Kollam with my wife in mid-December, and we are planning a one night houseboat trip. Please suggest what precautions should we take, like I know there would be a lot of mosquitoes to disturb our sleep when the houseboat is stationary, apart from this do we need to worry about anything else?

Another concern which I have is: do we have electricity arrangements and emergency rescue options in case of any mishap?

2. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

An insect repellent cream is a must but if you are too concerned about insects then get a mosquito net along which can be tied to the walls and will cover the whole bed and you wont need any insect repellent either.

Most boats have gensets and also batteries that they charge on regular basis so electricity wont be a problem. Check with them before you book your boat to make sure they have what you need. Dont expect to run a hair dryer or things like that on board the boat.

Emergency rescue?
    The guys on the boat are generally good swimmers but if you are talking about rescue boats and life guards etc then no those things are non existent and if a rescue boat does exist then it would take ages before it gets to you so the only rescue plan is the guys who run the boat and your own aquatic skills. Ask for a life jacket before hand or buy one for yourself.

3. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Not all the boats have electricity arrangement. Some have gensets which they would only run in the evening for a couple of hours and some have only batteries that they charge on shore and will only allow lights in the evening for some time and some boats have a genset and batteries too which allow electricity 24/7 but to be sure it is advisable to ask your travel agent and book the one that you prefer.