1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Are Locals Financially? Is There Lots Of Poverty?

Discussion in 'Mauritius' started by thebigmind, Nov 9, 2015.

1. thebigmind

thebigmind New Member

I would like to visit Mauritius but if there is high rates of poverty i will need to consider how i can help the locals in any way i can.

2. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

As far as I know and have heard from those who have visited Mauritius, it's economic standards are quite stable and comfortable if you compare the tiny island country with the rest of African continent. Almost every country, however, has some percentage of its population suffering from poverty and Mauritius is no exception. Concentrated mostly in the rural areas, due to rising global competition for trade and commerce, and with the reduction in sugar and textile production (two of the country's highest revenue earners), this place has stumbled a little more into poverty. However, it is nothing that should worry you too much.

Mauritius is a splendidly breath taking country. Tourism is another sector that fetches them a chunk of the national earnings. If you do come across locals during your holiday/visit who appear to be in need to economic help, you can always go forward with it. If you find tourist guides or persons associated with your travel plans to be not to well off, you can always tip them generously. Or buy them a drink and a meal.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

You can check out local charities and donate some kinds or goods in there. But it's also a good idea to just tip the people that would help you there. If you ride a cab, tip the driver generously. If a waiter gives great service, tip him well. If the bellman opens the door for you, tip him as well. These little things, I consider them help to the people there as well. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

When I was there, there were no particular problems with poverty. Clearly, not everyone was rich, but neither were they starving in the streets. The island has the benefit of great tourism, and is a main destination for French vacationers. That brings in a lot of money to the local economy, and you can see this in the number of hotels and restaurants catering to foreigners. There are many places for rent, private taxis, equipment rentals, and guides. I think, with the collapse of their sugar industry, the population moved to tourism and services without much problem. That, and their healthy textile industry, keeps most, or enough, employed.

Then, there is their kind and giving island attitude. They take care of their own, like they do guests.

Of course, economies change, and jobs can dry up. I do not know how well they fare this year, but would think they will pull through despite troubles in the global markets.

5. Normad

Normad New Member

There is no country without some poverty. I don't think that you should be concerning yourself with that on your holiday. If you choose a great destination then you won't even have to experience seeing the poverty first hand. I think you should focus on yourself, after all, that is what your holiday is about. I've always felt that we should give to ourselves first until our 'cup' is full and then we can overflow onto others.