1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parks With Lots Of Trees?

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by copicgo, Dec 7, 2015.

1. copicgo

copicgo New Member

When I travel in America, I love to go sight seeing in forests. They are places where I find peace and grounding energies, so if I am able to travel to India soon, where would you guys suggest to go for national parks that include forests? I'm talking about long trails through thick trees, getting lost for hours in the sights and sounds of mother nature. Also, is there any animals to look out for in the forests in India at the parks?

2. mayasupernova

mayasupernova New Member

I also was wondering about the same thing. Fortunately, there will be some Indian who can help us with the questions.
    I am a lover of nature, and trees, and tend to always visit parks, or nearby forests in the countries I visit. I usually have some native person who is my guide. That makes things even easier.

3. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Check out the Kerala Backwater Tour thread in the tours section of this site. That park has some of the most impressive trees I've seen. Mainly, it has the most beautiful collection of coconut trees ever. You can also participate in harvesting as a tourist and live among locals, truly experiencing what local life is like. They also incorporate coconut into every aspect of their lifestyle, such as the street food menus, coconut bark in home building, and hammocks for relaxing. That's just one such example of a protected park, but India is such a diverse country that I'm sure you'll find a variety of flora and fauna. I would suggest searching by individual state and region and looking for a list of state parks that way. Good luck!

4. Sammie

Sammie Member

Is there camping available at these parks? I think the only way you can truly enjoy being in a forest area is to camp overnight. Is there a restriction on camping in this area because of the wildlife?

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

All of the sanctuaries and national parks in India have dense forests. However, not all of them allow trekking or visiting the parks on foot. Mostly, they only allow canters or jeeps provided by the forest department to enter the parks. This is to ensure the safety of both the animals and the tourists. There are some national parks that allow walking tours though, provided you trek the forest with a guide and you cannot venture into deeper parts of the park. Some of the parks in India that allow trekking are:

1. Satpura National Park - This is located in the Hoshangabad District of Madhya Pradesh. It covers an area of about 524 square kilometres. You can find it spread over Satpura Hills. The terrains of the park are strikingly rugged, with ravages, gorges, sandstone peaks and dense forests. The Tewa Lake borders the park as well so you can enjoy a boat ride here. A variety of trees can be found here: Sal, Bori Teak, Mahua and many more. It is one of the few national parks in India that allow walking safaris. And although tiger sightings are rare here, you can still enjoy the variety of other wild animals in the park. Some important information about the park:
    • Park timings during winter: 6:00 am to 10:00 am and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
    • Park timings during summer: 5:45 am to 9:30 am and 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
    • Entry permit cost is at Rs. 1,250 and boat safari cost is at Rs. 50.
    2. Pench National Park - This is in the Seoni and Chhindwara Districts of Madhya Pradesh. It is about 758 square kilometres in area. This is supposed to be the forest that inspired the author Ruyard Kipling to write "The Jungle Book." The Pench River flows through the park. Dry broadleaf teak forests cover the park with a mixture of tropical deciduous forests. Bamboos are also common finds in the park. Jungle walks and walking safaris are conducted by the park for tourists. Some important information are:
    • Park timings: 6:00 am to 9:30 am and 2:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
    3. Periyar Tiger Reserve - This is located in the Cardamom and Pandalam Hills of the Western Ghats bordering Tamil Nadu. It has an area of 305 square kilometres. The park is surrounded by moist deciduous and evergreen forests. Eucalyptus, orchids and grasslands are common sights here. Teak, Sandalwood and Banyan trees are found all around the reserve. You can find animals like tigers, elephants, deers, sambars and sloth bears here. You can try their nature hiking or trekking as well, where they provide you with a guide to tour the jungle. Some important details are:
    • The trek commences at 5:30 am and goes until early evening.
    • The fee for the trek is about Rs. 200 per person.
    4. Nagarhole National Park - This is located in the Mysore and Kodagu Districts of Karnataka. There are a combination of moist and dry deciduous forests here. The area is about 642 square kilometres. Rosewood, Teak and Silver Oak tress are common here. Bengal tigers and Indian leopards reside in the park. Chitals, sambars and wild boars also reside in here. The park conducts trekking tours through the grassland parts of the forests. Some important information are:
    • The treks are usually two to three days. Camping and trekking are included in the tours.
    I hope this helps!