1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Diving Can You Do In Mauritius?

Discussion in 'Mauritius' started by JManara, Feb 8, 2016.

1. JManara

JManara Member

If we stay in Mauritius for a week are there plenty of spots to go diving? Are there also diving lessons available to those who have limited experience? I've heard there are also wrecks that you can visit near the island as well.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

There are plenty of places you can go to get diving lessons. You are right about the wrecks, too. There are wrecks and reefs, and very clear waters. Personally, I would recommend you arrange your lessons through your hotel, or inquire through them for the closest, most hospitable instructors.

I would add that diving is not the only draw. I found that just snorkeling was enough for me, since the waters are clear and calm. It was easy to get out over reefs and just watch from the surface. But diving is certainly an option, and almost any resort or hotel can hook you up, either through their own in-house instructor, or someone they trust.

3. art_and_yoga

art_and_yoga New Member

Mauritius offers some of the world's most exciting dives. Over 600 species of fish and 430 types of sea creatures swim through this blue paradise. Divers can experience thrills and beauty here. The whole island is surrounded by barrier reef. This creates a buffer zone where it is easy for beginners to learn.

Diving attractions

The name Shark's Trench may sound intimidating. However, La Fosse aux Requins (pro: foss o rekins) is home to plenty of harmless blacktip sharks. Located on northwestern side of Île Plat (pro: eel plah), this 12 m (40 ft) basin is ideal for beginners.

Most shipwreck dives in Mauritius require more diving experience. However, there are some that you might be able to do. I suggest you consult with a diving instructor before you attempt these. In 1981 the boat Tug II was purposely sunk as part of an environmental effort to create more reefs. Lying at 20 meters (65 ft) deep, it can be found off the coast of the western town of Flic-en-Flac.

Another wreck at about that level is the HMS Sirius. Unlike the Tug II, this Royal Navy ship was sunk in a fire and has been lying at the bottom since 1810. This ship is located just off the coast of Mahebourg, in the southeast part of the island.

Also in the southeast area is Blue Bay. Blue Bay is perfect for beginners. Divers will appreciate the shallow water (8 m/26 ft) and plenty of sea animals. Fish in this area include tuna, grouper, barracuda, parrot fish and king fish. Other creatures include eagle rays, sea turtles, white tip and black tip sharks and eels.

Belle Mare Passe (pro: bell mar pass) is a popular eastern site for predator and prey. Barracuda, snappers and grey reef sharks eat the smaller fish. Octopus, parrotfish, crayfish, sweetlips, angelfish and wrasse swim here. Bull sharks are sighted on occasion.The current here is gentle and yet forceful enough to push you forward, making swimming easier. The area is relatively shallow (20 m/65ft) and filled with canyons to swim through.

Finding a good school
    For the inexperienced, it is best that you go with a certified diving instructor. Your hotel should be able to provide you with someone who is legally qualified. If your hotel doesn't have an instructor, here are some tips. Two of the world’s top diving certifiers, SSI and PADI, have locations on Mauritius. All of the schools I have listed have instructors trained by one of those certifiers.

Atlantis Diving Centre
    +230 265 7172

Sun Divers Ltd
    +230 5972 1504

Blue World Explorer Ltd.
    +230 5498 1356

Prodive Ltd.
    +230 265 6213

Emperator Diving Centre
    +230 5253 2489

Travel tips

The warm, crystal clear waters are best from October-December and March-April. The summer warmth attracts more sea creatures out into the open. Travel is not suggested from January to February, as that is cyclone season. During July and August, only the west and north coasts are suitable for diving. Other areas are too rough due to southeast trade winds.
    Another tip for making the trip most pleasant to all is respecting the environment. Never touch the fish, as their coating protects them from disease. Do not approach wildlife; rather, allow them to come to you. Never try to block or hold them, as wildlife can be a danger when trying to escape. Do not touch coral. It’s fragile and can fragment easily, damaging the environment and potentially cutting your hands. Also, some coral can cause burning skin infections.

Do not go for cheap offers if you want quality instruction and a safe trip. Diving equipment is expensive. Do not dive 24 hours before flying. This will prevent decompression sickness.

Have fun!