1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Apply For Schengen Visa From India?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by GunjanMetha, Apr 26, 2019.

1. GunjanMetha

GunjanMetha New Member

My parents would like to plan a trip to Europe and I will be doing all the paperwork regarding the visa for them. I have not applied for any kind of visa before and I have read some information on the internet about the Schengen visa but I am still confused.

I would be grateful if someone can help me in knowing how to apply for a Schengen Visa from India?

2. Preet

Preet New Member

1. Determine the type of Schengen visa you need: The Schengen area offers different types of visas, such as tourist visas, business visas, and study visas. Identify the appropriate visa category based on your purpose of travel.

2. Research the embassy or consulate: Find out which Schengen country's embassy or consulate you need to apply to. This depends on your main destination or the country where you will spend the most time during your trip. Depending on your visa type you can either apply through the embassy or VFS global.

3. Check the specific requirements of the embassy or consulate you are applying to. Generally, you will need the following documents:
      • Completed visa application form: Obtain the application form from the embassy or consulate's website and fill it out accurately.
      • Passport: Ensure your passport is valid for at least three months beyond the intended period of stay and has two blank pages.
      • Passport-sized photographs: Provide recent color photographs meeting the specifications set by the embassy.
      • Flight reservation: Book a round-trip ticket or provide a flight itinerary as proof of travel.
      • Accommodation details: Provide hotel reservations or a letter of invitation if you are staying with a friend or family member.
      • Travel insurance: Obtain travel insurance covering medical expenses up to a minimum of 30,000 euros.
      • Proof of financial means: Provide bank statements, sponsorship letters, or other evidence to show you can financially support yourself during your trip.
      • Itinerary: Prepare a detailed travel itinerary, including the places you plan to visit, duration of stay, and any planned activities.
    4. Make an appointment: Schedule an appointment with the embassy or consulate to submit your application. Many embassies use an online appointment booking system.

5. Attend the visa interview: On the day of your appointment, arrive on time and bring all your required documents. Be prepared to answer questions about your travel plans and provide any additional information if requested.

6. Pay the visa fee: Pay the visa fee, which is non-refundable, at the time of submitting your application. The fee amount may vary depending on the Schengen country you are applying to.

7. Wait for processing: After submitting your application, it will be processed by the embassy or consulate. The processing time can vary, but it typically takes around 15 calendar days. In some cases, it may take longer, so it's advisable to apply well in advance of your planned trip.

8. Collect your passport: Once your application is processed, collect your passport from the embassy or consulate. If your visa is approved, it will be stamped in your passport. In case of a visa refusal, you will receive a written explanation.

3. Deven

Deven Member

Just to add to your post Preet, depending on your purpose of visit, factors such as your age, it can take some time for your visa to come through.

From seeing some applications from people I know, I would highly recommend that you make sure you have all the right documents up to the mark. Sometimes what people do is think that proper paperwork is not required, or that the number of reports and statements don't matter.