1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Nainital from Hyderabad?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Dhavan, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Dhavan

Dhavan New Member

I am from Hyderabad and my wife, and I would like to the hill station Nainital in Uttarakhand. We are quite confused on how we should reach the destination.

I don't think Nainital has a railway station, so I would need to find out which is the nearest railway station to it. Traveling by train seems like the most appropriate mode of transport, as the closest airport would be Delhi and Nainital is another 6 hours away from there.

2. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I think that you should consider travelling by car. Motorcycles are another option but you can easily get exhausted. I hope that most travelling agencies also can help in finding the most suitable mode of transport. Getting a helicopter can be expensive so you should consider that.

3. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Why don't you take a train or flight to Delhi and go to Nainital from there by train. Its the most convenient way to reach there. You can take a car from Delhi also.

4. djtravels

djtravels Member

Take a flight from Hyd to Dehradun. From Doon hire a cab (make sure you've booked the cab before you land). That's it.

While the Delhi option is always there, and time wise they may seem similar, but in terms of scenic beauty, the D'dun to Nainital route is much better.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Dhavan! Welcome to the forum!

If you'd like to reach Nainital from Hyderabad via train, the nearest railway station to it is in Kathgodam. The Kathgodam Railway Station is about 34 kilometres away from Nainital so you can easily reach the latter from the station. However, there are no direct trains from Hyderabad to the Kathgodam Railway Station. Your route would be:
    • Hyderabad > Train to Delhi > Train to Kathgodam.
    So from Hyderabad to Delhi, here are some train timings:
    • Andhra Pradesh Express Train No. 12723 - This train departs everyday from Hyderabad Deccan at 6:25 and arrives in New Delhi at around 9:05. Journey duration is around 1 day and 5 hours.
    • Nizamuddin Express Train No. 12721 - This train departs everyday from Hyderabad Deccan at 22:30 and arrives in Hazrat Nizamuddin at around 4:05. Journey duration is around 1 day and 5 hours.
    Next, we go to the trains from Delhi to the Kathgodam Railway Station, here they are:
    • Anand Vihar Kathgodam SHT Train No. 12040 - This train departs everyday from New Delhi at 6:00 and arrives in Kathgodam at around 11:40. Journey duration is around 5 hours to 6 hours.
    • UTR Sampark Kranti Express Train No. 15035 - This train departs everyday from Delhi at 16:00 and arrives in Kathgodam at around 22:40. Journey duration is around 5 hours to 6 hours.
    • Ranikhet Express Train No. 15013 - This train departs everyday from Delhi Cantonment at 20:02 and arrives in Kathgodam at around 5:05. Journey duration is around 5 hours to 6 hours.
    From Kathgodam Railway Station, you can opt to ride a taxi to reach Nainital. I'd recommend hiring a taxi as the views en route are quite scenic and you might want to take frequent breaks to capture these sceneries. Taxi fare would be around Rs. 900 to Rs. 1,800 from Kathgodam to Nainital.

Otherwise, if budget is an issue, there are frequent buses from Kathgodam to Nainital as well. Bus fare would be around Rs. 70 to Rs. 100 per passenger. Or you can opt for a shared taxi, which costs between Rs. 100 to Rs. 150 per passenger.

Alternative: From Delhi, you can also opt to ride a bus to reach Nainital. The Uttarakhand Transport Corporation operates two buses plying this route:
    • UTC Buses - These buses depart from the ISBT Anand Vihar in Delhi. Their timings are 7:45 and 21:00. They arrive in Nainital at around 16:45 and 7:00.
    There are also plenty of private buses plying this route:
    • City Heart Travels (AC Seater/Semi-Sleeper Bus) - They have two buses departing from ISBT Kashmiri Gate at 10:30 pm and arriving in Nainital at 6:30 am. Fare is at Rs. 600 to Rs. 700 per passenger.
    • Adventure Booking Centre (AC Seater/Non AC Seater Bus) - They have two buses departing from ISBT Kashmiri Gate at 10:00 pm (AC) and 10:30 pm (Non AC). These buses arrive in Nainital at 7:00 am. Fare is at Rs. 450 to Rs. 550 per passenger.
    I hope this helps you!