1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Reach Vaishno Devi From Katra?

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Chinmay, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Chinmay

Chinmay New Member

I am from Pune and I will be traveling to Vaishno Devi with my family. Our journey would be quite long as the distance from Pune to Jammu is quite far.
    To help me in making a hotel booking and other bookings, I would like to know how to reach Vaishno Devi from Katra, which means I would also like to know what the distance between the two destinations is. This way I would know whether we can reach Vaishno Devi on the same day or whether we would need to make a hotel booking in Katra.

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

The journey to Vaishno Devi generally involves reaching the base town of Katra first and then proceeding to the holy shrine. Here's how you can reach Vaishno Devi from Katra:

Distance Between Katra and Vaishno Devi: Vaishno Devi is approximately 13-14 kilometers from Katra.

Step 1: Pune to Jammu:

• You'll need to first travel from Pune to Jammu, which is a long-distance journey. You can choose to travel by train or take a flight to Jammu, depending on your preferences and availability.
    Step 2: Jammu to Katra:

• Upon reaching Jammu, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to Katra. The distance between Jammu and Katra is around 42 kilometers, and the journey takes about 1.5 to 2 hours by road.
    Step 3: Katra to Vaishno Devi:

• From Katra, you'll begin your trek to Vaishno Devi. The trek is approximately 13-14 kilometers one way, and it usually takes 4-6 hours to reach the temple, depending on your pace and the time of the day. The path is well-marked, and there are facilities like ponies and palanquins available if needed.
    It's important to note that many pilgrims prefer to make a hotel booking in Katra and start their trek to Vaishno Devi early in the morning. The trek can be quite challenging, and the weather conditions can vary, so planning an overnight stay in Katra is a common practice.

Once you reach Vaishno Devi, you can have the darshan (visit) of the holy shrine and then trek back to Katra or arrange for transportation back to Jammu.

Remember to check the latest travel advisories, weather conditions, and any specific guidelines or restrictions related to the pilgrimage, as they may change from time to time. Safe travels, and may your pilgrimage be blessed!