1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Vaishno Devi from Delhi?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Vrinda, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Vrinda

Vrinda New Member

Hello everyone on the forum, I am Vrinda from Delhi, a mother of two kids.
    I want to take my kids to Vaishno Devi for darshan next month and as it will be my first time visiting I need to know how to reach Vaishno Devi from Delhi.

I know that there are buses which go, but I don't really like the feeling of traveling on a bus in the hilly areas, especially with it being a long distance journey.

I would like to know about other means of transport which would take me to Vaishno Devi. I am particularly interested in finding out about the train which goes to Katra (I am not sure if it has started operating yet or not).

I would also like to know how far Jammu is from Katra?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello as well, @Vrinda, welcome to the forum.

As you have already mentioned, your choices for transportation are either by bus or by train. Crossing out buses on the list, that leaves you with train journey. The good news is that, yes, there are now direct trains from Delhi to Katra, through the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Railway Station. The trains depart from different railway stations in Delhi, here they are:

Direct Trains from Delhi to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra

Train Name and NumberDeparting Station - TimeArrival TimeSchedule/Days Operational
    Himsagar Express Train No. 16317Shakurbasti - 00:4615:20Mondays
    Jammu Tawi Express Train No. 11449Okhla - 22:0715:20Wednesdays
    Andaman Express Train No. 16031Okhla - 22:0715:20Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
    Navyug Express Train No. 16687Shakurbasti - 00:4615:20Thursdays
    Kota SVDK Express Train No. 19803New Delhi - 00:1015:20Sundays
    Swaraj Express Train No. 12471New Delhi - 4:5017:10Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturdays
    Sarvodaya Express Train No. 12473New Delhi - 4:5017:10Sundays
    Hapa Jammu Tawi Express Train No. 12475New Delhi - 4:5017:10Thursdays
    Jamnagar Jammu Tawi Express Train No. 12477New Delhi - 4:5017:10Wednesdays
    SVDK Premium Express Train No. 22679New Delhi - 7:5020:25Mondays
    Yesvantpur SVDK Suvidha Express Train No. 82651New Delhi - 7:5020:25Mondays
    Shri Shakti Express Train No. 22461New Delhi - 17:305:10Daily
    Jammu Mail Train No. 14033Delhi - 20:1011:05Daily
    Uttar Sampark Kranti Train No. 12445New Delhi - 20:508:40Daily

Journey duration is around 10 hours to 14 hours. As you can see, there are several trains departing from the different stations around Delhi, so you can choose which one is the closest to you. But you also have to take into account that not all trains operate daily, apart from the last three trains posted above. Fares vary but a first class ticket is at Rs. 2,320, a second class ticket is at Rs. 1,375 and a third class ticket is at Rs. 955. If you have children with you, it's better to choose a more comfortable class though.

From the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Railway Station, Katra is merely 1.6 kilometres away. You can either walk this distance or hire a vehicle to take you directly to Katra. With the latter, you have the options of either an auto rickshaw or a taxi. But since you have children with you, it's advisable to stay for a night in Katra, there are plenty of hotels and guest houses there, so you can rest and begin your pilgrimage the next day.

On the other hand, Jammu is about 46.2 kilometres away from Katra. It can take you around an hour or so to reach Katra from the Jammu Railway Station. There's no need anymore to reach Jammu and from there go to Katra. As what have been mentioned, Katra has its own railway station now and it's easier to reach the temple from there.

I hope this helps you and good luck on your yatra.

3. Prits

Prits Member

To reach Vaishno Devi from Delhi, you have several options, including train and road travel. The train service from Delhi to Katra is known as the Shri Shakti Express. Here's how you can reach Vaishno Devi from Delhi using these modes of transport:

By Train:

1. Shri Shakti Express: This train connects Delhi (New Delhi Railway Station) to Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra (SVDK) Railway Station, which is the nearest railway station to Vaishno Devi. The train runs regularly.
      • Distance: The distance between New Delhi Railway Station and Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra Railway Station is approximately 650 kilometers.

• Travel Time: The journey by train takes around 9 to 11 hours, depending on the specific train service and stops.

• Train Schedule: It's recommended to check the official Indian Railways website or consult with the nearest railway station for the latest train schedule and availability.
    By Road:

1. By Bus: You can find bus services that operate between Delhi and Katra, but as you mentioned, it involves a long road journey through hilly terrain. If you prefer to avoid buses, it's better to consider the train option.

2. By Flight: The nearest airport to Vaishno Devi is Jammu Airport (IXJ). From there, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Katra. The flight from Delhi to Jammu takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours.
      • Distance from Jammu to Katra: The road distance between Jammu and Katra is approximately 42 kilometers.
    Keep in mind that Vaishno Devi is a popular pilgrimage destination, and it's advisable to plan your trip well in advance, especially regarding accommodations and yatra (pilgrimage) registrations. Additionally, it's important to check the latest travel guidelines and requirements, as these may be subject to change due to local regulations and the ongoing global situation.