1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Bhutan A Strict Country?

Discussion in 'Bhutan' started by jnorth88, Apr 17, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

So, I recently heard that Bhutan has many rules and laws, and that the police are very present. It is common to even see civilian assistants, wearing a smock that reads Friends of the Police. I was just wondering if it is a heavily controlled country, or not?

2. Mohit Eagle

Mohit Eagle Member

On an overall basis, you can say that Bhutan is a strict country as compared to others.

Some of the rules and regulations of Bhutan are:

Smoking: The sale of tobacco products is completely banned inside Bhutan. If caught you face a fine and there are chances of being jailed.

Clothes: Tourists are free to wear whatever they feel like apart from when going to Dzongs when you have to wear full legwear and full sleeves. On formal occasions, the residents of Bhutan have to wear their national dress be it at the office, temple or monasteries.
    If anyone is near the flag of Bhutan you have to remove any cap or hat you are wearing as a sign of respect.

3. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

Smoking is only banned in public areas and not in private like a hotel balcony is perfectly safe for smoking. I saw lots of tourists do just that and no one raises an eyebrow. Sale of tobacco products is banned but you can bring your own by paying 200% customs duty on arrival but only 200 cigarettes per person.

4. Garg

Garg New Member

200% customs duty that's a lot of money. Great way to quit smoking though..;)

What about purchase of alcohol in Bhutan? Is that banned too?