1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Worth Renting A Car?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jwill, Jan 22, 2016.

1. jwill

jwill New Member

I'm a bit concerned with the hectic traffic in India and was wondering if it's even worth considering renting a car to get around. Should we instead use public transportation options such as buses and trains?

2. Joanne

Joanne New Member

I have traveled in China and also Mexico. The traffic there is terrible. I wouldn't feel so safe driving in these places. As of India I think it would be just as bad. I wouldn't want to run my vacation because of an accident. If I was to visit a place where the traffic was light and not so many cars on the road I would consider renting a car. Otherwise I will stick with public transportation.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

From everything that people have told me so far, it's easier getting transport. I have to agree - not having been there yet, but having traveled to a lot of countries, I always prefer catching transport. Learning new road rules, not knowing the driving conditions or being familiar with the streets, dealing with more traffic than I'm used to, and perhaps even driving on a different side of the road with the orientation of indicators, wipers and everything being different just adds to the stress, for me!

4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would have to say no from my experience, but we tended to be in bigger cities and in places that were not very spread out, so getting around was not difficult at all. From other people that I have heard from too, though, it sounds like it is pretty easy to find transportation and so it is probably more of a hassle than it is worth to have to go through the process of renting a car. I would say avoid the headache and take your chances, or just do some research.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Considering the price you pay and service you receive, public transport is a better option. However, in order to use public transport you must be aware about their routes. One drawback that I find in using public transport is the buses and trains are very crowded.

6. Delilah

Delilah New Member

In my opinion, the best thing to do once in India is either to use public transportation or to hire a driver to take you around.

7. sara.nm

sara.nm New Member

don't even think about it, it's far better to get a cab to take you everywhere, you wouldn't want to deal with heavy traffic in a foreign country.

8. Salman

Salman New Member

Buses and trains are cheaper but if you hire a car then you will reach much faster. Also, you can stop wherever you want to and go sightseeing according to your convenience. I always suggest hiring a car for these reasons although it is more expensive.

9. Vnisha

Vnisha New Member

Nah nothing like that.. You can go for public transport or can buy a car at your own. Thing is that, in some cases a person needs a car always when it is family concerned.

10. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Public transport is always the best option, mostly because they operate on a fixed route and there are always local people around who, more often than not, will happily give you precise directions to the place you want to go to. I personally don't recommend a cab until you're well versed in the roads and alleyways because of the very high chances of cheating... and worse.

Renting a car when you're visiting the country for the first time is not recommended at all, mostly because of the different rules and etiquettes followed on the roads by the traffic.