1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kochi to Mysore, is it worth?

Discussion in 'South India' started by Qora083, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Qora083

Qora083 New Member

Hi

I am on a short visit to Kochi in Kerala and I got to hear some great things about Mysore Palace and Chamundeshwari Temple in Mysore, so I am preparing my mind to make a short trip to Mysore too. Before I get to this trip I have a few questions in my mind and will genuinely appreciate your time if you can aid me.

My questions to you are:
    1). How much time it will take to travel from Kochi to Mysore by rail or road?
    2). How much time is needed to see Mysore?
    3). What is the best mode of transport from Kochi to Mysore, rail or road?
    4. Any other spots of attraction in Mysore?

2. Subu

Subu New Member

1) By car it would take you around 8 hours and 35 minutes and by rail it would take around 16 hours.

2) I would say a week or even 10 days max would be enough for you to see Mysore.

3) You see how much difference there is in time when traveling by car and train from Kochi to Mysore, and it is obvious that car would be the best mode of transport.

4) Other things to see in Mysore are Somnathpur Temple, Namdroling Nyingmapa Monastery, Srirangapatna, Mysore Sand Sculpture Museum and Lingabudi Lake.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance from Kochi to Mysore by road is about 406 kms. You can reach Mysore, without traffic in about 7 hours and 15 minutes. However, with traffic, expect the journey time to be around 8 hours or even more. The route you can take is:
    • Kochi > Thrissur > Palakkad > Sathyamangalam > Chamarajanagar > Mysore.
    By rail though, it can take longer, depending on what train you ride. There are no direct trains from Kochi to Mysore though. So you have to add that to your journey time, the changing of trains. So from Ernakulam Town or Ernakulam Junction, you'd have to reach Bangalore Junction first. Some of the trains are:
    • Mumbai Express Train No. 16332 - This train is only available during Saturdays, it departs at 8:15 and arrives at 21:20.
    • Bangalore Express Train No. 12678 - This train is available everyday, departs at 9:10 and arrives at 19:50.
    • Bangalore Express Train No. 16525 - This train is available everyday, departs at 18:05 and arrives at 7:20.
    From Bangalore, you'd have to ride a train going to Mysore Junction. Some of the trains are:
    • Chennai Mysore Kaveri Express Train No. 16021 - This train runs everyday at 4:10 and arrives at 6:50.
    • Mysore Express Train No. 16231 - This train departs daily at 6:00 and arrives at 8:40.
    So via train, expect travel time to be between 14 hours or more.

You can see the popular attractions in Mysore in a day. However, to fully explore Mysore, I'd recommend two to three days so you can enjoy your stay and not rush through the attractions.

I would recommend a car if you have your own. It's the best way to reach Mysore as it's more comfortable and you can control your stopovers. As I've said, there are no direct trains to reach Mysore from Kochi, so that's a downside. Plus, it can take much longer by train to reach Mysore. But I've already given you the route by car and the trains you can ride if you decided to go by rail.

Here are some of the best attractions in Mysore:

Historical
    • Mysore Palace - From 1399 to 1950, this palace was the official residence of the Wodeyars. Although there are several palaces in Mysore, the Mysore Palace refers to the one within the Old Fort. This was built by Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV. Originally though, the Mysore Palace in the Old Fort was built by King Yaduraya. It was demolished and destroyed by a fire that's why Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV commissioned the building of a newer one. So the current palace was finished only during the year of 1912. The architecture of the palace is described as Indo-Saracenic with a mixture of Hindu, Muslim, Rajput and Gothic styles.
    • Jaganmohan Palace - When the Mysore Palace was under construction, the royal family lived here in the Jaganmohan Palace. It was in the year 1861 when it was constructed. Now though, the palace is an art gallery and function hall. It was built using a traditional Hindu style of architecture. There are numerous murals inside the palace which adds to its beauty. You can also find several small shrines around it.
    • Lalitha Mahal - This is located in the Chamundi Hills and is the second largest palace in Mysore. It was commissioned to be built by Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV as the residence of the Viceroy of India. It has a Renaissance style of architecture and is said to be replicated out of the St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Now, it's under the management of the Ashok Group of Hotels as a heritage hotel in Mysore.
    Gardens/Parks
    • Brindavan Gardens - This garden was completed in the year 1932. It is operated by the Cauvery Niravari Nigama, under the Government of Karnataka. The garden has a musical fountain, its main attraction, with bursts of water synchronised to music. There's also a lake here with boating facilities. Other attractions of the gardens are gazebos, animal-shaped shrubs and shaded passageways. The Krishna Raja Sagara Dam is also located nearby the gardens.
    • Ambedkar Park - This is a favourite park among locals for playing games like cricket. During the evening, it's a great place for snacks as hawkers surround the park.
    • Happy Man Park - The main attraction of the park is the Laughing Buddha Statue at its centre, from which the park was named after. There's also a mini-zoo inside that kids can enjoy. The entry fee is Rs. 5 for Indians and Rs. 100 for foreigners.
    Religious
    • Chamundeshwari Temple - This temple can be found at the peak of Chamundi Hills. It was named after Chamundeshwari or Durga. It is 1 of the 18 Maha Shakti Peethas. Originally, this was built by the Hoysala Rulers but some additions might have been added by the Vijayanagars. There are about 1,000 steps leading to the peak of the temple. On the 800th step, you'll find the huge Nandi Statue about 15 feet high.
    • St. Philomena's Church - This church was built in 1936, replicated to the Cologne Cathedral in Germany. There was a church in the same location built during the year 1843 by Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar III. In 1926 though, Sir T. Thumboo Chetty received the relic of Saint Philomena and gave it to Father Cochet. He approached the king of Mysore so that a church can be built dedicated to her. Now, the church houses the relic of Saint Philomena under the altar.
    Wildlife/Nature
    • Karanji Lake - A little background of this lake is that it was close to being destroyed by pollution and trash. However, with the help of the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Karnataka Urban Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation (KUIDFC) and Zoo Authority of Karnataka, the lake was saved from destruction. Now, the lake is home to several migratory bird species and is a great place for bird-watching.
    • Mysore Zoo - This was constructed in 1892 with around 10 acres of land, making it one of the oldest zoos in the country. Now, the zoo has been expanded to about 152 acres and is one of the most visited zoos in the country. It has about 10 elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, tigers and white rhinos.
    • Kukkarahalli Lake - This is a man-made lake in Mysore built by Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar. It was also on the verge of being destroyed but the University of Mysore and the Citizen Forums of Mysore helped save it. Until now, they continue to protect the lake from being polluted. You can spot birds here like the spot-billed pelican, open bill storks and Oriental darters.
    • Shivanasamudra Falls - This is a segmented waterfall from the Cauvery River. Its width is about 305 metres and its height is about 95 metres. This is also the site where Asia's First hydro-electric power station is located.
    Museums
    • Regional Museum of Natural History - This is a museum showcasing the natural plants, geology and animals of Southern India. It was built in 1995 by the Government of India and the Ministry of Environment & Forests. It is located on the banks of the Karanji Lake. It has several sections, noteworthy of which are the Life Through Ages Tunnel, depicting the evolution of life and the Biological Diversity Section.
    • Folklore Museum - This is located in the University of Mysore and was built in 1968. There are about 6,500 artefacts here depicting the folks and arts of the whole state of Karnataka. Some of the most important items here are the following: rare Hanuman crown from Kugala Balli village, costumes of Kathakali and folk musical instruments from different regions of Karnataka.
    • Railway Museum - This was established in 1979 by the Indian Railways, it's the second of its kind in the country. It has locomotives and pictures of the development of the railways in India throughout the years. There's also a battery-operated mini-train here that children can ride.
    • Melody World - This has the largest collection of musical instruments in Karnataka. You can also find life-sized displays of folk men playing musical instruments here. This was built in 2010 under the guidance of Bangalore IT professional, Shreeji Bhaskaran. There are about 300 musical instruments here, not just Indian musical instruments but also Western instruments.
    • Sand Museum - Here you can find intricate sand sculptures which would mesmerise you. Right at the entrance, there's a 15-feet statue of Lord Ganesha. Other sculptures in the museum are: Goddess Chamundeshwari, Lord Krishna and Arjuna on a horse-drawn chariot, Tom & Jerry, ancient Egypt and many more.
    I hope this helps.

:)