1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Marriage Certificate Compulsory for Passport?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Pritiksha, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Pritiksha

Pritiksha New Member

I need to re-apply for my passport which has expired. The old passport was in my previous name, and I am now married, so would be changing my surname.

When reapplying for a new passport and changing the surname is a marriage certificate compulsory for passport application?

Would I need the original certificate or a copy?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When reapplying for a new passport and changing your surname due to marriage, then you would need to submit your marriage certificate as one of the requirements. Here are the exact steps you have to take:

• Download the miscellaneous form from the website or obtain a form for Rs 5 from the office. You need to fill in the details in the form. Choose "Reissue of Passport" in the service desired field and in the particulars field choose "Change in Existing Particulars."
    • Prepare the requirements: original passport with photocopies of its first and last pages, photocopy of husband's passport, attested copy of marriage certificate with supporting evidence like joint photo and marriage card.
    • Schedule an appointment online or by calling the office. If you applied online, then your schedule will be given to your email and will be printed out in your application form.
    • Visit the office at your scheduled time and day. Submit your requirements personally or via a representative with power of authority letter.
    • Pay the fee (it always changes of it's better to ask for yourself in the office) and wait for a few weeks to collect your passport.
    You would need to submit the original copy of the certificate along with a photocopied copy for verification purposes.

I hope this helps!