1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jantar Mantar-jaipur

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Poonam, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Poonam

Poonam New Member

I will be with my three children in Jaipur, and the one place I am confused about visiting is the Jantar Mantar. I have seen the Delhi Jantar Mantar if it is something similar I think I would skip going there!

Please advise if I should visit the Jantar Mantar and see something else instead. I also have a few questions which I hope will get answered.

1. How important is this landmark in Jaipur?

2. What are the timings for the Jantar Mantar?

3. I heard the Jantar Mantar should be visited during a period of particular months is that true?

4. Is there a cost to visit the Jantar Mantar?

5. How far is Jantar Mantar from the main Jaipur city?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, I think it is a pretty neat landmark, but honestly you can skip it without much problem, especially if you have seen something similar. After all, a sundial is not incredibly interesting. It would be good if your kids are into astronomy, but even then it would be better to take them out to a rural area with a telescope and look at the stars. I say, if you are nearby and have the time, stop in and take a look, but do not go out of your way to see it.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is bigger than the one in Delhi. They are similar, yes, but the one in Jaipur is more maintained. Futhermore, most of the equipments in Jaipur are still working and if you can get a guide with you, then you'll understand how they work. I think the Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is still worth a visit despite you having visited the one in Delhi.

The Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is a very important landmark because it used to be the main observation site for the movement of the sun, moon and other planets during the 18th century. This is the most important, comprehensive and even the best preserved out of all of India's ancient observatories. Like I said, this observatory is the most maintained one, even as compared to the one in Delhi.

It is open from Monday to Sunday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.

The best months to visit the Jantar Mantar are from October to March when the heat isn't too intense and you can enjoy the observatory.

Yes, for local adults, the price is Rs. 40 and for foreign adults the price is Rs. 200. For foreign students, the price is at Rs. 100. For local students, the price is at Rs. 15.

The distance between Jantar Mantar and Jaipur is about 5 kms. You can walk it or ride an auto rickshaw.

I hope this helps!