1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit to carry cigarettes in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leopardranch, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Leopardranch

Leopardranch New Member

Hi

I am arriving Delhi soon and will be there for 2 months, thinking I might not like the quality of Indian cigarettes so planning to carry my own. What is the legal limit of carrying cigarettes to India and how strict is customs with the quantity of cigarettes?
    I am planning to carry at least 2 cartons with me.

Please answer my question only without any lectures on smoking.

Regards,
    Ranch

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

I am not sure which country are you coming from, if you are coming from Malaysia or Indonesia then maybe you can save some bucks; otherwise cigarettes are cheaper in India. A pack of 20 Marlboro cigarettes will cost you INR. 200 here, which is around 2.6 Euros and if you buy a carton at once then it might get cheaper. Regarding your question; legally you can carry 200 cigarettes and customs officers are very much particular about quantities. I suggest you not to carry anything above legal limits.

3. Bholae Nath

Bholae Nath New Member

I can understand somebody carrying cigarettes from India to Europe but why do you want to carry cigarettes to India when you can get the same quality here at less price? Still if you want to carry your own cigarettes then carry one carton only and rest you can buy in India, and remember to try some bidi's too.

4. PatelJigar

PatelJigar New Member

There are many places in Delhi where you can get international cigarette brands, and to be on the safe side you can always purchase from duty free at Delhi airport.

Clara likes this.
  5. Lalit

Lalit New Member

International branded items are sometimes more expensive in India whether it is food items, alcohol or clothing, so it would be best to purchase from duty free at Delhi Airport rather from the city.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I used to be a smoker. When I first traveled to London, I brought with me a carton of Philip Morris, that was my brand then. After consuming the entire carton, I was surprised to find that cigarettes in London are so expensive, huh. It was just unfortunate that there was no internet yet at that time so I was nor forewarned. Now, it is nice to travel because I can easily get advanced information about the country. I'm glad to know that cigarettes are cheap in India. I usually buy a carton or 2 for gifts to my smoker friends here.

7. Nicola

Nicola New Member

In my experience, even though the packaging is the same - the cigarettes inside are not. The quality and taste does vary between different countries - even neighbouring ones.

8. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I can understand what you mean, you're worried they don't taste the same, right? I'm a smoker and I'm also always worrying about this. Sometimes tobacco just don't tastes the same! I live in Mexico and I'm used to smoking red Marlboro's in here, but when my friends come they don't like them here, even though the're the same brand they change from country to country. I would take my carton even if you pay a bit more it's worth it.

Now another question, do women get odd looks or something for smoking in India or is it totally cool?

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm a smoker myself and I usually take a carton of 200 of my usual brand when I'm going abroad also. I usually find though that while the cigarettes in other countries do taste and smell different, it's just a case of getting used to them, and with the difference in price, I'd be tempted to buy when I get there instead.

After a few days you'll get used to them anyway, well, I always do.

10. Clara

Clara New Member

As a fellow smoker, I tend to agree with you about getting use to different flavors. Matter of fact, I smoke little cigar cigarettes. I can' find a brand that is available everywhere. So it is no big deal for me to switch my brands around. My husband has a bit of a break down, if he can't find his brand. Whenever we travel, he will take his own and ration them. Has a bit of fit, when I get into his stash, too. :rolleyes:

Down the road, is a family owned party store run by an Indian family. They use to carry some nice flavored smokes from India. Not sure why they stopped carrying the brand? Only cost me 99 cents a pack! ;) Not sure how they could be so cheap being imported and all?

pwarbi likes this.