1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in Himachal Pradesh for anthropological fieldwork

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Dr.Dallas, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Dr.Dallas

Dr.Dallas New Member

Hi everyone

I am moving to Tabo in Spiti valley, Himachal Pradesh for some anthropological fieldwork. Does anyone know is there any expat community in this region? I will be there for 18 months doing my research work and I am well interested in some Hindi leaning too. If anyone of you in that area wants to meet for a beer or chai then I would be happy to oblige. I am sure it would be pretty lonely in the remote valley.

Kind Regards,
    Dr. Dallas

2. Dr.Dallas

Dr.Dallas New Member

Just would like to tell you Tabo in Spiti valley is one of the top Buddhist monasteries in India and once upon a time it was centre for cave meditation in India. Some of the rocky hand dug caves are still occupied by Buddhist lamas for meditation purpose.

3. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

Oh, that sounds very interesting. What is your subject area?

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I hope you enjoy your move to Himachal Pradesh! From what I know, one of the most popular expat destinations in Himachal Pradesh is Dharamshala specifically Mcleodganj. There are also many travellers and local Indians here. Many locals there are also Tibetan refugees and of course, students of Buddhism. I'm sure you can find some expat community in there as well.

I think what attracts most tourists and expats to this region is the climate and the surroundings. Many retirees want a place where they can relax and breathe some fresh air. And regions like Dharamshala, Spiti Valley and Mcleodganj give them just that. Every where you look, there's some greenery and beautiful views. Every morning when you wake up, you'll see the beautiful sunrise and mountain views.

Aside from that, the cost of living here is quite low. Compared to cities like Mumbai or Delhi, there's a huge gap when it comes to commodities' prices and other basic needs' prices. For about $150 to $200 per month, you can live quite comfortably here. Not to mention fruits and vegetables here are basically free.

There's also many volunteer opportunities in this region. You can sign up to be an English teacher and stay for a short time in the country. Other NGOs accept volunteers as well for a long-term basis. Some even give free basic lodging for the volunteers.

I'm guessing you'd have a lot of fun doing anthropological work here. It's a pretty rich region when it comes to things like that. Good luck and I hope we hear back from you!