1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For A Ganges Adventure, When’s The Best Time To Visit Varanasi?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Gabydi, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I’m really looking forward to be in Varanasi, the city that is close to the Ganges. I read somewhere that some sacred texts mention the existence of this city 3,000 years ago, so it’s probably the oldest city in India or the world. How awesome is that!

I’ve heard that there’re a lot of cultural activities and would like to know when’s the best time to visit, and maybe be able to watch some traditional festivities. Also is the silk weaving is in Varanasi too? Anyone knows

2. nomad

nomad New Member

I'd recommend visiting Varanasi between October and February for the most comfortable temperatures and if you're wanting to see the festivals as they're all held around then. If you go in summertime (around June) it's really far too hot outside to do any enjoyable sightseeing - although if you come from a hot location (I see your location is Mexico) you might find it okay. The festivals are held in the winter though so if it is a short trip it might be best to plan for October.

Silk weaving is what Varanasi is famous for so you'll definitely be able to see plenty of that, and buy lots of fabrics if that's what you're interested in.

3. Sramana

Sramana Member

Man, I've always wanted to go to Varanasi and spend a few days just sitting by the ghats. Isn't there a festival where people light lamps and float them on the river? When is that?

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

This thread sounds interesting to me. I am fond of festivals and if I remember correctly, we were in Singapore in October of last year (middle of the month) and we saw the festival of lights. There was a big arch in the main road of Little India with flowers and lights all over the streets. We just didn't disembarked from the bus since we do not know any Indians there. We were mesmerized with the colorful decorations, typical of the Indian artistic designs. This made me recall my first trip to Singapore where I had my picture taken with an Indian woman wearing a sari.

5. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, thank so much for all your valuable information. My trip is programmed for February so I’ll guess the weather will be just fine. I am from Mexico, but I live in Mexico City so it’s not hot at all. In fact, even though we don’t have snow it gets pretty chilly on winters. I’ll miss the festivities since they’re in winter. I was really excited about that.