1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK citizen marrying in india

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Nilesh, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Nilesh

Nilesh New Member

I am soon to get married in India, and my parents and I have been discussing of what kind of wedding we would have in India as compared to the weddings in Canada. Although we have seen marriages in India, we would love to have something similar to what we have seen here.
    For someone who has seen a wedding in Canada would you please advise if it is possible to have something similar to what we have in Canada?

Would the expenses be more or less than what they are in Canada?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I do think it's possible to have the kind of wedding you want in India. I don't know what religions you and your fiancé have, but in the case that they're different, you can opt for a special marriage in India. And with that, you can still get married legally in India. It's up to you how you want to plan your wedding as well. You won't need to adhere by the local traditions if you are both non-Hindus. But if your spouse-to- be is Hindu, then you'd have to incorporate some Hindu wedding customs.

However, I've also seen some blended Indian-Western weddings in India. Some Hindu ceremonies you can include are:

• Greeting each other with garlands
    • The walking around the fire seven times
    • The mangalasutra
    And of course, here are some Western customs you can include:
    • Exchange of vows and rings
    • Wearing of a white gown
    It depends upon you really. Some even wear a traditional sari on the wedding itself and change into a white gown for the reception. The possibilities are endless as long as you keep your mind open.

If you decide on a complete Hindu wedding, then it might be more expensive than a Western wedding. A combination might even be more expensive with the use of different clothes, items and ceremonies.

I hope this helps!