1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Endangered Animals

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Tamboa, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Tamboa

Tamboa New Member

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of endangered animals in India, and if possible I would like to see some of them in the wild. Are there any tours or safaris that specialize in viewing rare and endangered species?

2. Igor

Igor New Member

I was keen to see the snow leopard that I believe is a very rare animal and is found only in the Himalayas. I have seen pictures of it on the internet and I was really spellbound by its majestic looks. I hope I get a sighting when I visit the Himalayan region later this year.

3. JKewe

JKewe New Member

Can you imagine seeing one of those beautiful creatures? I know that somehow people have been able to get photos of them, but they are very rare as you say, and also very shy. It would be an incredible experience to see one in the wild.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Royal Bengal tigers and one horned rhino are some of the animals in endangered list. India has the largest population of one horned rhino and has one of the largest population of royal Bengal tiger in the world. If these animals vanish from the wild it will be a great misfortune.

5. swalia

swalia Guest

Tigers especially the white tigers are the most endangered species in India. You can visit the Sunderbans National Park in West Bengal for tigers. One-horned rhino is another endangered species. You can consider visiting Dudhwa National Park in Uttar Pradesh for rhinos.

6. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

It would be an adventure to see India's finest roster of wildlife. The country has such bountiful gifts from nature but some of them are becoming endangered due to endless poaching. It would be a shame if the current generation now would let the wildlife become extinct simply for monetary gains. Children should be educated about what would happen if some of their national treasures just vanished before they would even have the chance to see them.

7. Destiny

Destiny Member

There are lots! So many, in fact... that you'll have to be more specific about where you're going. There's all kinds of amazing things to be seen in India, especially animals. Depending on what area you'll be travelling in, of course. But, there's lots of incredible things to experience.

8. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

Bengal tigers and one horned rhinos are probably the most famously endangered Indian animals. I believe you can see some tigers at the Ranthambore National Park, but I'm a bit unsure of where one could see rhinos. Endangered creatures really are marvels, since they may not be around for our children to see. We really have to treasure them!

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Tamboa!

Many national parks and wildlife sanctuaries offer jeep safaris or tours so you can be able to see some of these endangered animals. But since their number is quite low, the chances of actually seeing them can also be low. If you're lucky though, you might be able to spot a few of them. In case you have a particular endangered animal in mind, here's a list of what types of endangered animals are in India and where can you see them:

1. Royal Bengal Tiger - As of 2010, the number of Royal Bengal Tigers in India is at 1,700 to 1,900. The Royal Bengal Tiger is the national animal of the country as well. Its coat is yellow to light orange with stripes ranging from black to brown. Its underbelly is white though but the tail is orange as well with black rings. Unfortunately, the number of the Royal Bengal Tigers have decreased dramatically due to poaching. Here are some of the places where you can still find them:
    • Tadoba National Park
    • Ranthambore National Park (In 2014, there were about 62 tigers recorded here.)
    • Sundarbans National Park
    • Sariska Tiger Reserve
    • Jim Corbett National Park
    • Bandhavgarh National Park
    2. Asiatic Lion - Also known as the Persian or Indian Lion. You can only find this lion in Gujarat. Last May 2015, there were about 523 Asiatic Lions recorded in Gujarat. The Asiatic Lion has lesser mane growth in the head, that's why their ears can be seen easily. Here's where you might be able to spot them:
    • Gir Sanctuary
    • Gir National Park
    • Pania Sanctuary
    • Mitiyala Sanctuary
    • Girnar Sanctuary
    3. Snow Leopard - There are about 4,700 to 8,700 Snow Leopards existing in the wild in different countries. The last data in India estimated about 300 to 600 Snow Leopards in the wild. Snow Leopards have thick fur and has various base colours. You might be able to spot them in:
    • Hemis National Park
    • Nanda Devi National Park
    • Dibang Wildlife Sanctuary
    • Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary
    • Pin Valley National Park
    • Great Himalayan National Park
    4. Indian Antelope or Blackbuck - You would find the male and female Blackbucks quite different. The males are darker and heavier with ringed horns. The females are lighter in colour and may or may not develop horns. This is also the state animal of Andhra Pradesh. You might be able to see it in:
    • Guindy National Park
    • Tamil Nadu
    • Rollapadu
    • Chilka
    • Orissa
    5. Red Panda - This is also known as the Red Bear Cat. It has reddish brown fur, fluffy tail and is slightly bigger than a cat. Previously, it was classified with raccoons and bears but later, given its own family, Ailuridae. It is the only living genus of Ailurus. Poaching and habitat loss are the main reasons of the decline in the numbers of the Red Panda. You can probably spot them in:
    • Khangchendzonga National Park
    • Namdapha National Park
    6. One Horned Rhinoceros - This animal is listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List. Unfortunately, their habitats, the alluvial grassland and riverine forests, are also fast declining. As of 2015, about 3,500 of these animals are estimated to be in the wild. This animal has thick, greyish brown skin with one black horn. You can see them in:
    • Kaziranga National Park
    • Dudhwa Tiger Reserve
    • Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
    7. Nilgiri Tahr - Also known as the Nilgiri Ibex and is endemic to the Nilgiri Hills. They are related to the sheep, or genus Ovis. As of 2014, about 894 Nilgiri Tahrs were recorded in India. You might see them in:
    • Eravikulam National Park
    • Nilgiri Hills
    • Periyar National Park
    8. Indian Pangolin - This has large, overlapping scales in its body and can curl itself into a ball in times of trouble. It's sad that their numbers are declining due to poaching as some people believe that they have medicinal properties even though scientists have debunked this belief. You might find them in:
    • Corbett Park
    • Gir National Park
    • Bandhavgarh National Park
    I hope this helps!