1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muslim Man Killed In India By Mob Over Rumor He Ate Beef

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Tanmaya, Oct 2, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

A man who was in his 50's was pulled out of his house and killed by a "Hindu" mob as they believed he consumed beef or killed a calf or both (It is not clearly mentioned in news reports). The man who got killed was a Muslim and he was beaten with sticks and bricks in front of hundreds of people. Son of the deceased man was also beaten up along with other family members, Son of the killed man is still in critical condition at a hospital and is fighting for life.

This happened less than 50Kms from the residence of Prime minister of India in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

BJP leadership is demanding the release of some men who were arrested in relation to this murder. Meat that was found in the fridge has been sent for testing to check if it was indeed beef that the mob claimed it to be.

I do not eat beef myself but I don't go around telling people who to eat and what not to. I don't know who gives these people the right to kill someone the way they did. I hope these people are hanged for what they did.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

What a brutal attack. I understand some people have strong religious beliefs about certain foods that can't be consumed, but that's no reason to go and kill someone else who doesn't believe in what you believe! I too hope there is justice handed down to the perpetrators of the crime. It honestly makes me feel sick to think people would do that over a difference in beliefs.

Gabydi likes this.

3. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

This is indeed a very sad news to hear. Rural India is highly under developed compared to urban areas, people are less educated and have a strong belief in ideas which does not fit well in to 21st century. This should be noted by any local or foreigner travelling in rural India and be extra cautios, since what is generally accepted in a modern society may not always be true of a backward region. It might be generations before the region catches up with the rest of the country, until then tread very carefully.

4. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

This place is just 45KMs from Prime minister Modi's residence. I don't understand whats rural about that place. That place is at Greater Noida and every one in the area is literate/educated. Come up with some other excuse to kill minorities. What was rural about New Delhi when thousands of Sikhs were massacred on the streets of Delhi?

Ruling party's leaders are demanding release of the culprits and asking them to be booked under sections that carry a lesser sentence. How does one explain that?

India is not a safe country for its own citizens, talk about safety of tourists...

@Chahal we should shut down this website and put our house in order first.

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is a shame that this happened. This place is less than half an hours drive from where I live and that area, even though is very close to the capital, it is rural but that is no excuse for such a crime. Yes there are laws against cow slaughter and if someone suspected cow slaughter took place they could have gone to the police to report it and let law take its own course. Killing someone just because they thought he slaughtered a cow is shocking and says a lot about the law and order situation. There are elections in Bihar in a few days and who knows it may be an act of a political party to polarize voters.

@ChaiNashta

Such things should never have happened in the first place but that does not mean that a tourist who has nothing to do with the communal tensions in the area would also get into trouble. I was reading today's Times of India and saw the below news :

IMG_20151002_112856.jpg

That is so out of order, is it not? Does that mean anyone going to USA should postpone their visit? Should tourists look for another destination?

India has a long way to go when it comes to law and order but millions of tourists come and go every year in one piece.

I pray for the victims in both the incidents and hope justice will be swift.

Ashwin Mahesh likes this.
  6. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 New Member

That is so sad and terrible. Unfortunately there are good and bad people in every country. I do hope that the people who did this are caught and are punished. It seems as though those people think their way is the only way, which is very unfortunate. Nobody should ever be so narrow minded to think everyone should believe the same as they do.

I really hope the tourist industry doesn't suffer for it. That would be such a tragedy in it's own right.

7. Delirium

Delirium Member

That is horrible! I really do hope justice will be brought into this. I mean I understand that your culture or your religion doesn't permit you to eat a certain kind of food - but murdering other people for doing it is just plain wrong. Every religion practically teaches their followers the same thing, and as far as I'm aware, none of that told anyone anything about ending the life of others. Why can't we just all get along?

8. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Well, this is very sad and it's hard to believe that this can happen today. I really understand that some people can be passionate about their beliefs but this is not excuse to end with someone else's life. I hope justice is made and also hope that everyone understands that we're all different. This is the beauty of the world,life would be just boring if we were all alike.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

It's not going to put me off coming to India - just thought it was a brutal crime. As are the shootings that happen here in the States regularly. Honestly, reading the news these days just makes my heart break because there just seems to be so much unnecessary violence in the world. I don't know if the world has always been a violent place and perhaps these days stories are just reported more...but it still makes me sad.

I just wish there could be more peace, everywhere, and that people could get along.

10. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

Wow! It's so sad to read that such terrible things like this one still happen in this day in age. This type of occurrence doesn't only happen in India; it's world wide. In order to continue to progress peacefully as the human race, people really need to start learning to respect other people's religion, habits, gender, sexuality, and just life choices in general. I fully understand that eating beef in India is religiously forbidden, but seriously, if he did indeed eat beef, what harm was he really doing to anyone else but himself?

11. RShacklefurt

RShacklefurt New Member

Northern India is much more conservative and crazy compared to the south. In my opinion a place like Kerala is very much the paradise of India with the most enlightened citizens, plus Kerala is maybe the most religiously diverse states in India so it's not exactly "Hindu".

Only 54.73% of people there are Hindu, 26.56% are Muslims and 18.38% are Christian. It is said to have the most liberal Muslim population on earth (comparable to Bosnia, etc) and has the most Hindus that don't give a fuck about caste and who is a Dalit. It's the only state in India that hasn't had intercommunal riots and pogroms. Everyone just lives together in peace, no riots, no pogroms, no incitement to murder on the basis of religion, ethnicity or caste, etc.

Really, it's a role model for India.

Chahal likes this.
  12. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Kerala is also one of the few places in India where you can order a beef steak at a restaurant and not worry about getting killed ;)

This thread reminds me of the cheapest burger that Mcdonalds sells outside India and a lot of my Hindu friends would have 3-4 at one go ;)

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While it is a shocking story, I don't think it should put anybody travelling to India off in anyway, as every country in the world as it's problems. If you picked up a newspaper from any country you planned on visiting and read the news for that day, then you wouldn't travel anywhere ever again.

14. bhu1

bhu1 New Member

Very sad news, Such incidents are happening in all around the world because of some narrow minded
    8th century attitude bearing groups like ISIS.
    It will not effect tourism industry of India at all.
    Don't be afraid with some narrow minded religion centric people, they are every where in world.

Chahal likes this.
  15. chartara powell

chartara powell New Member

This is really cold hearted I do not understand are they not allowed to eat meat at all or what he had to eat something he could not starve.
    why did they do such a harsh thing to this Muslim I thought Muslims could not eat pork, but beef is different I thought rip to this Muslim.

16. KCDavis

KCDavis New Member

I whole heartily believe that this was wrong, the situation could have been handled differently. But on the other hand, why would you eat an animal that you know is considered sacred in the country you are considering eating it in. That is a major smack in the face to their beliefs and heritage. Now please don't get me wrong. I do agree that this mob was in the wrong and this could have been handled a completely different way, but this man was not completely put off the wrong either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.