1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nagarjuna Sagar Dam

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wrangler, May 6, 2016.

1. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

We have recently relocated to Hyderabad from Delhi. While looking for a nice place nearby to spend time over a weekend, I came across the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. It appears to be a beautiful place, atleast the pictures are really nice. Not sure if the place is equally inviting in reality or not, still I would like to go for a short trip to Nagarjuna Sagar on one of the coming weekends.

Has anyone been to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam recently? Is it a good choice as a weekend getaway from Hyderabad? I want to set my expectations right, so that I don't get disappointed later. Kindly let me know what to expect and what not to expect on my upcoming trip. Those who have been to this place before, kindly share your reviews on Nagarjuna Sagar Dam

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I have not been to that dam specifically, but I have visited several dams and they are always nice locations for a short trip. Plan a small picnic and enjoy the view and engineering. My favorite was to visit Mansfield dam, in Texas, as it was a great place for a jog and a sandwich. It is a good combination of nature and human accomplishment.

3. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is arguably the most popular weekend getaway for the Hyderabad residents. It is a great sight with lush green scenic surroundings, especially in the monsoon and post-monsoon seasons when the water level is full. Built on the Krishna River, the colossal lake formed by the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is the third largest man-made lake in the world with a capacity of holding 11,472 million cubic meters of water. It is one of the oldest irrigation and hydro-electricity projects in the country.

The place can best be visited on a one-day trip from Hyderabad. Lots of people visit the dam regularly, but the rush on weekends is expectedly quite high. Nagarjuna Sagar is situated at a distance of 164 KM from Hyderabad and it takes around 3 hours to complete the journey.

Boat ride on the lake is the most popular activity for the tourists here at Nagarjuna Sagar. Row-boat, paddle-boat and motor-boat rides are available. Another must visit place is the Ethipothala Waterfalls, which is located at close proximity. If you are travelling with kids, then they would surely love playing in the pool of waters over there. This beautiful waterfalls is formed by Chandravanka river, which is a tributary of Krishna.

You can also visit the ancient Chennakesava Swamy temple, which was created during the 13th century. Nagarjunakonda Buddhist Museum is another must visit site located near the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam.

Regards,
    Deb

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Never been there, but I have been on a lot of dams during my local travels, and I gotta say, it's really something to behold. Very clear waters, strong current during releases, and you can even have a picnic near the area as long as you don't touch the waters. You can't really swim in those though, but you can still admire the wonders that a man made structure can provide. Also, it usually is on top of a large mountain of land, so the air seems really fresh, and with dams requiring to be far from communities, there's definitely less noise and garbage, and it's incredibly peaceful all around.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

@Debapriya Deb has already given you lots of information about the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. I will just add another information that makes it quite a good tourist destination, at least for me. Archaeologists have found about 200 megalithic graves under the dam. It's very much like an underground dead storage for people who lived there thousands of years ago. This was found after the dam reached below minimum levels last year.

Anyway, when they started constructing the dam, these settlers were rehabilitated and moved to other places. And this recent discovery just proves that for over 3,000 years ago, that people had made Nagarjuna Sagar area their habitat. It was also found that there was this practice during ancient times that people bury the dead with their belongings. And archeologists are hoping to prove this as well.

I think it's always nice to visit such destinations where there's this history behind it. And the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam is one of them, it's not only a beautiful place, it's full of history behind it. I think it makes for a great weekend destination for any person who loves archaeological stuff like this.

I hope this helps!

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  6. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

@briannagodess - that's an interesting piece of info which I was unaware of. Thanks for adding it to this list of tourists attarctions at Nagarjuna Sagar Dam.

briannagodess likes this.