1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non Meat Dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joanne, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Joanne

Joanne New Member

I don't eat a lot of meat because it doesn't seem to agree with me. In recent years I basically eat a lot of chicken and fish. I'm curious what types of fish they have in India. I'd love to try some fish with a nice curry sauce over it.

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

When I was there they had a lot of different fish in their meals, and yes many of them were a curry style dish, and I cannot remember any of the names of the fish buy they were mostly all flaky white fish, so if you were to compare it to something you could get here maybe a trout There were also a lot of fish stews, but again it probably depends a lot on the area of the country that you are in, because each seems to have its own specialty.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

India's fishery industry is vary large and most of the fishery businesses are based on sea fishing (no farming). The coastal towns and cities have fish markets. Fish is very important part of Indian diet. I don't know the English names of the varieties of fish popular in India, I only know the local names. However, the English name I am familiar with is called trout, which is more common in the hilly and mountainous areas

4. Joanne

Joanne New Member

This is great to know. I had a trout one time that had a dirty taste to it. I think it was because of the water it lived in. I love fresh fish and go to our local fish market once a week. I think eating fish is the ultimate for our health.