1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Keen On Chai Tea

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Startlet245, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Startlet245

Startlet245 New Member

Someone told me that this is the staple drink in India and that coffee or other hot drinks are hard to find. Is this really the case? I need coffee to function,and although I have tried I just can't get on with chai tea. I hope not drinking it won't be a problem, or offend anyone

2. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

I'm the opposite from you. Chai tea gives me nice energy effects. Sounds weird because it's not coffee or an energy drink. It's tea! Put honey in it and sit back and enjoy the flavor. If you can't do that, then try to look up a coffee shop. There are some in India! Cheers.

hellotraveler likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I don't think you would offend anyone - I know a few people that just don't like the taste because it's that clove/cardamom/cinnamon taste that they're not keen on. I love it, and I do find that tea in general gives me a similar boost to the caffeine in coffee. As yet I haven't been to India - still in the planning stages - but I don't imagine it would be too difficult to find coffee. Everywhere I've travelled in the world has it, even remote places I've been to!

4. Sammie

Sammie Member

I think it would depend on the city you are visiting. If it is a busy tourist place, you can probably find a cafe or coffee house somewhere. I've searched and came up with the name of a couple of coffee houses, like Coffee Cafe Day and Barista. You could always search where they are located if you need your cup of coffee.

5. Kristie

Kristie New Member

I too can't stand the taste of cardamon, so I don't like chai tea either. I am sure you can find coffee though. India is a very touristic country and I'm sure they will have options for those who prefer coffee.

6. Teheura

Teheura New Member

I am not much of a coffee drinker and I do love tea. However, I have never tried this tea before. Where I live it is hard to get imported tea from around the world. It would be nice to order some online to give it a try. I did visit China and brought home a box of different teas. They were delicious and I did enjoy them so much.

7. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

I like Chai tea, and most teas are good. I would have a hard time too if I didn't have coffee available, though. I'm not for certain on this, but I was told by a friend who visited India that they do have some kind of coffee house usually near the few internet cafes that are still around. I'm not sure what part he was referring to, but I'm assuming New Delhi where his parents are from.

8. Startlet245

Startlet245 New Member

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I would like to at least learn to tolerate it if it is offered, that was what I was most concerned about I suppose. Perhaps it will grow on me if I try it often enough.

9. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

The word "Chai" is Hindi word for "tea". There is no such thing as Chai tea, Chai is tea and tea is chai :)

Indyra likes this.
  10. Indyra

Indyra Member

I love Chai tea! And yes, I am referring to what we Americans consider to be "Chai Tea", as I am aware that 'chai' is really just the name for 'tea'. However, I still enjoy what we've made out of it.

11. Sheba

Sheba New Member

I have never tried this tea before, but would love to try it once. I have heard a lot of good things about this and people seem to really like it.

12. freddi

freddi Member

I've got some chai tea bags that I really like, so I assumed when I went to Starbucks that I'd also enjoy their chai latte. UGH! How wrong I was! It was so strong, I only forced myself to finish it because of how much it had cost me!

13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh, I hear you! I think their drinks are oftentimes just too syrupy sweet - that's the part about them that I am not too fond of! It's like I can feel myself getting cavities as I drink them, haha!

But yes, I've also bought special seasonal drinks at Starbucks before and didn't particularly like them, but thought I would finish it since it cost me like $5 for one drink!

14. paudu

paudu Member

I think my Indian friends here in the US would laugh to read this - they hate it when I use the word "chai". I have learned that chai is just tea, and everyone in India has their favorite chai.

15. JKewe

JKewe New Member

I like to make my own "chai" - the sweet, spicy, milky kind - because I like a particular blend of spices rather than the kind you get in the pre-mixed blends.

16. Barbiebarbie73

Barbiebarbie73 New Member

Coffee should be readily available everywhere I don't think it's difficult commodity to find in any country. As far as the taste is concerned I can I'm completely with you I hate it too. I find it very difficult to function without coffee so if you like me maybe consider taking some with you for the duration of your stay.