1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darjeeling - Not Just For Tea!

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Jani, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Jani

Jani New Member

Most people only recognize the name 'Darjeeling' when it comes to tea. However, for those who like to hike, I've recently discovered that the Sinchalia Ridge Trail located there is an excellent place to visit. I just thought I'd share, as I was looking for some nice places to go for hiking. They have local tour guides. I recently looked to book a tour there, and read that they are closed from July through mid-September, so you don't want to go around that time. The pictures I've seen look breath-taking and it's right on the outskirts of the Himalayas.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to take a look at this - I do enjoy hiking, would you say it's a super intense hike or is it okay for moderately skilled hikers?

I have to admit I only thought of Darjeeling as the place where the tea originated from - good to know that there's a lot more to it than that!

3. vegito12

vegito12 Member

It would be nice to do some hiking in this area and try some tea as well which would be relaxing in the afternoon with some snacks and with friends it would be more enjoyable and it can be easy to assume that there is nothing much to do in the area as tea is made there, and will be nice to see some other attractions in the region and meet other people as well. I was reading on the ashmitatrek site that the hike can be long or short depending on you and how good you are and a tour guide is available and you get breakfast and lunch provide no extra cost which is good and there are different sorts of difficulty, for people so you can do a easy walk or a harder one if you want. There is a lot to see and the trip is worth it and you stay in private lodges or tea houses and the food is vegetarian and they do offer western food as well and best time is mid-February to May as the other months are cold or not suitable as the weather can be bad and make hiking difficult to do.