1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pangong Tso Lake

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by MethaON, Jun 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MethaON

MethaON New Member

Hello, forum.
    This is my first time I have ever I will be posting on a forum, so I hope I am posting in the right place!

I am going Leh on the 26th June 2016, and one of the main places that I will be visiting is Pangong Tso Lake. I would like to get some information about this lake and the information required has been presented in questions.

Thank you all in advance.

1. What is the distance between Leh and Pangong Lake?

2. How is the drive from Leh to Pangong Lake, are there any chances of getting AMS?

3. What temperatures can I expect when at the lake during the daytime and night time?

4. Is there any good accommodation to stay at which is located near the lake?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Leh and Pangong Tso Lake is about 175 kms via the Chang La Pass. Through this route, you can reach the lake in about 5 hours.

It depends on which route you take. But the route I gave you has the best road conditions Specifically, it's:
    • Leh > Karu > Sakti > Chang La > Durbuk > Tangste > Lukung > Spangmik
    This route is the fastest one and has the best paths as well. I would also suggest spending at least three nights in Leh to get acclimatised properly. Since Pangong Tso Lake is at a higher altitude, the chances of acquiring AMS are higher. You can also stay for one night more in Tangste for further safe precautions.

During summers, maximum temperature is at 40°C and minimum is at 5°C. During winters, maximum temperature is at 14°C and minimum is at -14°C. The best time to visit the lake is during summers as the weather is very pleasant and the lake won't be all dried up. These are from the months of May to September.

Here's some accommodations near the lake:
    • Himalayan Retreat. Their economy package for the Swiss Tent is at Rs. 3,000 per night. There's an attached Western bathroom as well with the room. There's even electricity for a limited period of time. You can go to their website to reserve a tent or just inquire about their facilities.
    • Himalayan Wooden Cottages. Their Deluxe Room is at Rs. 2,500 per night. There's hot and cold water in the bathroom. You can view the lake from your room as well. They also have a website you can visit.
    • Pangong Camp Resort. A Single Room is priced at Rs. 3,000 per night. They have a Western bathroom as well as hot/cold water. You can also view the lake from your room.
    Your other option would be guest houses which are plenty in Spangmik. There's Padma Guest House or the Sasoma Guest House. Bathrooms aren't attached but there are ones available. Meals are included as well, cooked by the house owners. Rates start at Rs. 700 to Rs. 1,000 per night.

I hope this helps!