1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pangong Tso

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by harman, Jun 14, 2016.

1. harman

harman New Member

I am visiting Leh, and I will mainly be going to nearby places due to the short duration of the holiday. I have read some threads about these beautiful lakes in Leh the popular one being Pangong Tso Lake.
    Pangong Tso lake is around 170km away from Leh, which would easily take around 4-5 hours which means that is a whole day.

Is visiting Pangong Tso worth visiting or not? Should I take out one whole day from the trip to be at Pangong Tso?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello @harman and welcome to the forum!

Pangong Tso is in the Changthang region of Ladakh. It is situated at about 14,270 feet in the Himalayas region. It is definitely a place worth visiting, as it offers picturesque views of the waters, which has different hues of blues especially after winter season. I would suggest spending at least one or two days here as well to witness the sunset and sunrise which is usually what other tourists do.

Consider travelling during April to August as these are the months when it isn't too cold in the region. From September to early October, these months have low tourist numbers but it's also an amazing time to visit just because the cold is starting to set in. The colours of the lake come alive during this time too. Avoid the remaining months as no accommodation would be near the lake.

This is the route you need to take:

Leh – Karu – Sakti – Chang La – Durbuk – Tangste – Lukung – Spangmik

This is the fastest route and has good road conditions. Thicksey, Hemis and Shey monasteries can also be visited in this route so you can make the most out of your trip.

Good luck!