1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Guwahati

Discussion in 'Assam' started by Wanderlust, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

I will be travelling to Guwahati in Assam to attend a friend's wedding. After the marriage ceremony gets over, I will be staying in Guwahati for another 2-3 days to do local sightseeing. I need information about the best tourist attractions that one must visit during Guwahati trip. I don't have much idea about Guwahati except for the Kamakhya Temple. If possible, I also want to see a one-horned rhino that Assam is famous for. I won't have enough time to visit Kaziranga, but if there is any place in Guwahati where I can see this majestic animal, then I am game for it.

Can someone please guide me about the important tourist places to visit in Guwahati?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Firstly, there are more to explore in Guwahati than just the Kamakhya temple. Secondly, you need not go to Kaziranga to see a one-horned rhino - Assam State Zoo in Guwahati can serve the purpose well.

Here are the must visit tourist places in Guwahati -

1. Kamakhya Temple: One of the 51 Shakti Peethas situated on the summit of Nilachal Hills. Local city buses are there to take you to the temple, or else you can share a seat in Jeep that depart from Kamakhya Gate at the base of the hills. There's a walkable pathway as well, but you need to climb close to 300 stairs to reach at the temple. So unless you are fond of adventure or a die-hard religious soul, the best option is to take the bus or shared Jeep.

2. Basistha Temple: Another important religious site in Guwahati. This 250-years old temple was built by Ahom King Rajeshwar Singh in the 18th century. There is a nice little waterfalls located 2 KM away from the temple.

3. Shankardev Kalakhetra: The heart of Guwahati's culture and tradition. A must visit place if you are interested to know about the rich cultural heritage of Assam alongside other North East states. Besides the cultural museum, there is a replica of traditional Ahom Rang Ghar. A library has been established inside the complex that has a great collection of books about the history and culture of North East India.

4. Umananda Temple: Located in a small islet bounded by the mighty Bramhaputra River. Can be accessed by an enjoyable boat ride. It is an important center of pilgrimage in Assam.

5. Dipor Bill: A huge natural lake comparable to the backwaters of Kerala. Besides being a popular picnic spot, the lake attracts lots of ornithologists and bird-watchers from distant places. Apart from the endemic bird species, you can find a wide variety of migratory birds as well.

6. Assam State Zoo: This is where you can spot a one-horned rhino in Guwahati. It's a well-maintained zoological park with a rich collection of wildlife species. One-horned rhino and Bengal tiger are the popular attractions in this zoo.

7. Assam State Museum: Situated at Gopinath Bordoloi Road in Ambari, Guwahati. It is one of the oldest museums in India. It was established in the year 1940 during the British Raj. It has a great collection of sculptures made of stone, wood, and metal. The famous terracotta sculptures are also present in good numbers. Folk arts and tribal arms section are equally interesting.

I hope, now you have enough places to keep you engaged in Guwahati for 2-3 days.

Regards,
    Deb

briannagodess and Admin like this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

You've already gotten a great list there. Here's just a few more places you can visit in Guwahati:
    • Enjoy a cruise at the Brahmaputra River. You can board the Alfresco Grand which is a 44 m long draft vessel powered by 3 engines. Make sure you schedule your cruise just before the sunset as it's an amazing view over the river. The Alfresco Grand has luxury and party cruises. You can also opt for the Houseboat Cruise by SB Agam.
    • Visit the Doul Govinda Temple. The Doul Govinda Temple is located on the Northern side of the Brahmaputra River. This temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. Thousands of devotees come here everyday and offer their prayers.
    • Visit the ISKCON Temple. The temple is located about 2 kms away Guwahati Railway station in the hillock in the ‘Sarania Pahar’ in Ulubari Chariali area. This temple might not be as extravagant as other ISKCON temples but it's definitely serene and peaceful. You can find idols of Lord Krishna and Subhadra here. It also offers panoramic views of the whole city.
    • Explore the Navagraha Temple. Located on top of the Chitrasal Hill, this is an ancient place for astrology and astronomy. There are representation of the celestial bodies in the temple. It is also known as the "Abode of Surya," as sun worship was a common practice back then by the Assamese people.
    • Learn more at the Regional Science Centre. This was established in 1994 and located in Khanapara. There's a science park with science shows and movies. There's also a butterfly corner and even an aquarium. You can also find a list of Indian scientists and Nobel Laureates here.
    • Learn more about the past at the Srimanta Sankaradev Kalakshetra. Features the history of the Assam people and the region.
    • Visit the Tirupati Sri Balaji Temple. Located in Lokhra, this is a temple dedicated to Lord Venkateswara. It is spread over two acres of land and is a holy shrine for many pilgrims.
    • Enjoy at Accoland Water Park. About 2 kms from Guwahati Airport, is the newly built Accoland Water Park. You can enjoy water rides and water sports here.
    I hope this helps!

P.S.

As what has been mentioned, you can spot the one-horned Rhino in the Assam State Zoo. The zoo is closed during Fridays though so schedule your trip accordingly. From Guwahati, the Assam State Zoo is about 8.5 kms away, maybe about 25 minutes to 30 minutes of travel time.

4. Nexplore

Nexplore New Member

Hi,

Apart from these temples mentioned by my friend I want to point out something interesting places in Guwahati.

1. Evening river cruise at the Brahmaputra river.
    2. You can see rhino and other wild animals at Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary which is located at distance 55km from Guwahati.
    3. You must visit beautiful peacock island and Umananda temple.
    4. You can also spend some quality time in the lap of nature at Brahmaputra Jungle Resort located at a distance of 34 km from Guwahati city.