1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit in Guwahati and Shillong

Discussion in 'Assam' started by Vipin, May 24, 2016.

1. Vipin

Vipin New Member

I would like the forum members to put together a list for me for places to visit in Guwahati and Shillong. It is my first trip anywhere in the East part of India, and I am expecting for things to be different and exciting there.

I am interested in all kinds of things from lakes, history to temples, as I believe that when you visit a new place you should explore things to know how different the culture and things are there.

Please provide separate lists for both destinations and also mention how far Guwahati is from Shillong?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Tourist Places to Visit in Guwahati:

Kamakhya Temple is the most popular tourist attraction in Guwahati. It is one of the 51 Shakti Peeths in India. Perched on the top of Nilachal Hills, the place is very scenic. Although you can climb up to the temple entrance in bus or shared jeep, there is a walking trail too. According to mythology, this stepped route was created by King Narakasur to impress Goddess Kamakhya. Many people, especially the youngsters, prefer climbing up the hill on foot using this ancient trail.

Another must visit place in Guwahati is the Sankardev Kalakhetra. It is the epicenter of Assamese culture and tradition. This cultural institution was founded to display the rich cultural heritage of Assam and other North-Eastern countries. The complex has a cultural museum, library and a children's park. There is also a replica of the Ahom Rang Ghar (ancient Assamese cultural hall) inside the complex.

The ancient Basistha Temple constructed by Ahom King Rajeswar Singha in 1764 is another famous religious place in Guwahati. There is an ancient cave near the temple where Rishi Basistha (Vasistha) is believed to have meditated. A small but beautiful waterfalls is also located near the temple. The temple is bordered by Garbhanga Reserve Forest which is home to a decent population of elephants. You can spend 1-2 hours over there if you are a nature lover.

Other places of interest in Guwahati are the Assam State Zoo, the road-cum-railway bridge of Saraighat, and Umananda Temple located on an islet on river Bramhaputra. Dipor Bill, a large natural lake on the outskirts of Guwahati, is also a popular picnic spot in Guwahati. It is a paradise for the bird lovers. You will be amazed to find so many species of native and migratory birds visiting the lake. Apart from all these attractions, do make sure to go on a boat-ride on the mighty Bramhaputra river. It's a fantastic experience, trust me.

Tourist Places to Visit in Shillong:

Shillong is a beautiful hill station. Make sure to go to the top of Shillong Peak to catch awesome views of sunrise. Barapani Lake, also known as Umiam Lake, is arguably the most scenic natural lake in the entire North-East region. It is often compared with the famous Lochs Lake of Scotland.

Shillong has several beautiful waterfalls. Sweet Falls in the Happy Valley is quite popular with the tourists. Elephant's Fall is yet another amazing place to visit. But the twin waterfalls of Beadon and Bishop takes the cake. It's simply spectacular.

Other places of interest in Shillong are the Wards Lake, Shillong Golf Course (oldest golf course in Asia), Crinoline Falls and Lady Hydari Park. If you have time to explore more, then plan for a short trip to Cherrapunji. Once regarded as the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunji is a very scenic place which has several waterfalls and view points.

Regards,
    Deb