1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit Near Ahmedabad

Discussion in 'Gujarat' started by NameesaShah, Jul 11, 2016.

1. NameesaShah

NameesaShah New Member

I am going to be in Ahmedabad next month with my parents. This will be the 4th time I will be in Ahmedabad as all my relatives are there. I have seen enough of Ahmedabad and would like to go places nearby.
    I won't be allowed to go anywhere far, but somewhere near even though I would be with my cousins.

I need recommendations on a place or places to visit near Ahmedabad and also some information on what can be done there.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's some places near Ahmedabad that you can visit:

Places Under 100 Kms From Ahmedabad

1. Gandhinagar. This is located in Gujarat and about 26 kms only from Ahmedabad. This is the capital city of Gujarat as well. If you like nature, then Gandhinagar is a place you might enjoy. Dubbed as the "Greenest Capital in India," it also boasts of its heritage with the temples you can find here. Some attractions here are:
    • Akhshardham Temple. This is considered as one of the largest temples in India. There's just one huge monument here and a garden where guests can enjoy a picnic. Just recently, they launched a first of its kind laser water fountain show.
    • Trimandir - Simandhar City. This is where Dada Bhagwan Parivar conducts his spiritual events and activities. Aside from that, there's also a museum, a garden and a play area for the kids. It's the perfect place for families as well as friends.
    • Adalaj Stepwell. The magnificent Indo-Islamic architectural style of the stepwell stands out as soon as you see it.
    • Sarita Udyan. This is a great picnic spot because of its serene environment and tranquility.
    • Children's Park. This has a mini train for kids and families. There's also a lake with a boating facility that guests can enjoy.
    • Deer Park. A great place to enjoy nature and see some wild animals.
    2. Anand. This is also located in Gujarat, about 74 kms away from Ahmedabad. This is known as the "Milk Capital of India" for its huge production of milk and dairy products each year. Attractions here are:
    • AMUL Cooperative Museum. Learn more about the process of milk production and pasteurisation. There's also an auditorium here with a capacity to hold a hundred guests.
    • Swami Narayan Mandir. The deities presiding here are Narayan Lakshmi, Harikrishna Maharaj, Guru Parampara and Ghanshyam Maharaj.
    • AMUL Chocolate Factory. I don't know if this list doesn't make you hungry yet. But this is another factory showcasing the process of chocolate processing packaging. Yum!
    Places Under 200 Kms from Ahmedabad

1. Patan. This is about 126 kms from Ahmedabad and located in Gujarat. Patan reached its glory years during the Solanki Era. Now, you'll find a great number of Jain Temples in the city. There are also Hindu Temples and other mosques in the city. Attractions here are:
    • Hemachandracharya Jain Gnan Mandir. This is a library that was built by Hemachandracharya. You'll find palm-leaf Jain manuscripts in here, some are even written in gold.
    • Panchasara Parshvanath Jain Derasar. This is one of the largest Jain Temples in the city. It was built using marble and stone with intricate carvings.
    • Sheikh Farid's Mosque and Mausoleum. This is famous for its beautifully carved ceiling.
    • Rani Ki Vav. It was Rani Udayamati who commissioned the building of this stepwell in memory of her husband. It was flooded by the Saraswati River for many years but luckily, the carvings in the well remained intact.
    2. Vadodara. This is about 112 kms from Ahmedabad and is located in Gir. This is the number one industrial city in the state of Gujarat. Attractions here are:
    • Ajwa Nimeta Dam and Garden. This was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III to attend to the needs of the residents of the city. Just nearby the dam, there's a garden that you can enjoy.
    • Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park. This is considered as an UNESCO World Heritage Site and you'll find a lot of structures here, from temples, to palaces, fortifications and water installations.
    • Dabhoi Fort. This is one of the few rare surviving examples of Hindu military architecture.
    • Laxmi Vilas Palace. It was also Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III who built this majestic palace, a combination of Indo-Saracenic architecture.
    • EME Temple. A rare sight where different holy symbols ff different religions are all in one place.
    • Surya Mandir. A temple dedicated to the Sun God, visited by thousands of pilgrims every year.
    3. Bhavnagar. This is about 170 kms from Ahmedabad and you can find this in the Gujarat state. The Gulf of Khumbat is also located here. Attractions are:
    • Gauri Shankar Lake. A beautiful natural lake with blue water, set amidst the sunshine, it's the perfect place to relax.
    • Victoria Park. A haven for bird watchers as you can find lots of species of birds in here.
    • Nilambag Palace. Enjoy the combination of Indian and Western architecture here. It is now converted to a heritage hotel though.
    There you go, I hope this helps! Have fun!

Admin likes this.

3. Rako

Rako Guest

How far are Lothal and Dwarka from these major places?