1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places To Visit Near Pondicherry

Discussion in 'South India' started by Rita, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Rita

Rita New Member

I am going to Pondicherry for a week and plan to extend my stay there for about 4 days, so I can visit some other places there.

Now what I need is help from forum members to find out what places to visit near Pondicherry.

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

There are a couple of places which you can visit that are near Pondicherry which range from a distance of 50km to 150km.

Gangaikonacholapuram is 100km away from Pondicherry which would take around a 2-hour drive. Gangaikonacholapuram is a temple of Lord Shiva. The temple comes in the top list of architectural buildings. One of the fascinating things about this temple is that its shadow never falls on the ground at any time of the year.

Chidambaram is a town full of history and temples and one of the famous temples there is the Nataraja Temple. There is an annual chariot festival which is held from the month of December to January. It is 100km from the north of Pondicherry.

Gingee is famous for its Gingee which is a large area full of ruins of a temple, palace, mosque, granary and an auditorium. It is covered over three large hills and for history lovers, this is an ideal place to visit. From Pondicherry, this is at a distance of 70km which is roughly a 1 hour and 30-minute drive.

Mandagapattu is 57km away from Pondicherry and is famous for the 7th century Mandagapattu Tirumurti temple. This temple is famous because it has been cut from rock and it is believed to be one of the oldest stone Hindu Shrines.