1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puri Jagannath temple Hyderabad timings

Discussion in 'South India' started by ArjitaE12, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ArjitaE12

ArjitaE12 New Member

My time in Hyderabad is very short, and while there I would love to go and pay my respects at the Puri Jagannath temple. It is quite a distance away from where I would be staying, so I need to be prepared for the trip to the temple.
    The important thing to know is the Puri Jagannath temple timings. I would like to spend some time there and not just go there for darshan.

Please provide the morning and evening timings, as well as any information which maybe useful for me.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Puri Jagannath Temple in Hyderabad was built by the Odia community in 2009. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu God, Jagannath (Which means Lord of the Universe). It is believed that the temple is a replica of the original Jagannath Temple in Puri. In terms of architecture and design, the temple does have some resemblance to its predecessor. Perhaps the main difference of both temples is the size, with the original temple having about 400,000 square feet in area while the replica have a 3,000 square feet area. The original temple complex also has about 30 temples while the replica only has 5 temples.

The temple has a 70 feet Shikhara, which is its most attractive feature. It has six smaller temples/shrines in the complex. These are the following:
    • Small temple dedicated of Lord Ganesha, found on the left side.
    • Small statue of Lord Shiva found in front.
    • Small temple dedicated to the Goddess Bimala, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati.
    • Small temple dedicated to Goddess Laxmi.
    • Small temple dedicated to Shri Hanuman.
    There's also a shrine of Navgraha as well. The red colour of the temple is due to the usage of red sandstone, about 600 tonnes were used which were taken from Orissa itself. The main sanctum sanctorum houses Lord Jagannath with his siblings, Lord Balabhadra and Devi Subhadra. You can also find carvings on the exteriors of the temple.

Just like the original Jagannath Temple in Puri, the Jagannath Temple in Hyderabad also celebrates the annual Rath Yatra or Chariot Festival. The festival involves moving Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra into a wooden chariot. This festival is attended by thousands of pilgrims each year.

The temple is open from Mondays to Sundays. Here are the timings for the Puri Jagannath Temple in Hyderabad:
    • Morning - 6:00 am to 11:00 am
    • Evening - 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
    Temple timings vary during festivals though. Here are other information you might need:
    • Address - Road No. 12, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Telangana 500034.
    • Contact Number - +91 40 6452 5848.
    I hope this helps!:)