1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet Rooms In Hotels

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Voyager, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Voyager

Voyager New Member

I have observed that in many hotels the quieter rooms are the ones that are on higher floors. This is because the external noises don't come into the room. I have heard that many hotels are near busy roads in Indian cities so is taking a higher room better for less noise?

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well it makes sense to me. I guess I was lucky because the places we stayed at when we were over there were not really close to any busy streets or particularly noisy areas of the town, but I can certainly see why that is a big issue for some people. Having a place like that can really ruin a vacation if you unable to adapt and get used to the place enough to get a good night sleep.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think it makes sense that the higher your room is, the less noise there would be. I imagine the lower floors has car engine, baggage and chatting noises. Of course, the lower your floor is, the nearer you are to the lobby and parking area which amounts to all these noises mentioned. You can also add the outside noises out of the hotel which are the cars and construction sites if there are any.

If you can choose a room that's away from all these noises. This way, you can be ensured that your vacation will be a relaxing and calming one. You wouldn't want to be stressed out by such elements on your vacation.

4. violet

violet New Member

Higher rooms make sense. I think you can also look for hostel that are away from the busy cities or pick one of the higher end hostels that don't have a lot of students or visitors but have good reviews.

5. xTinx

xTinx Member

Most pricey hotels are less noisy compared to budget hotels and hostels. Their structures are just built to ensure sufficient privacy. Some budget hotels and hostels have private set-ups too and you may inquire in advance before booking a room. If you tell them "give me your most private room," perhaps they'll have something ready for you.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always try and get a higher room in a hotel, both from the perspective of avoiding street level noise but also getting a better view of the city! A lot of the time if I have a nice city view from a hotel window, I'll start mentally mapping out all the places I want to go - it's helpful when you can see the city from above!

7. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

Not all hotels are near public roads. For me I will prefer staying in a hotel which is near a highway for convenience. I don't think that the noise can affect visitors. One can also choose to stay in a hotel which is far from noise.

8. Some of the hotels I have visited will have soundproof windows which will help cut the noise, especially in big cities. But yes generally speaking a higher room will be quieter.

9. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Though I'm sure it's nearly always true that the higher up the room is, the less noise, it also just depends on where you stay. The better the hotel, the better it's built and the less noise you will have no matter where your room is.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This will really depend on the hotel you stay at. A very nice hotel could be in the heart of the city, but have proper sound insulation. Even hotel rooms properly insulated though and high up can hear loud noises. I was in Toronto when they won a game, and the riot sounds reached twenty floors up to my hotel room.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While the higher rooms are less noisy as you say, there's a lot of hotels now that have noise reduction and privacy glass on the lower floors anyway these days so noise is becoming less of an issue.

Obviously not all hotels will have this feature so if you're not sure it's best to double check, but if the hotel you're staying in is 3 stars or above I'd be surprised if it didn't.

12. rajesh

rajesh Member

Well, I agree with the fact that the roads of the modern cities are very noisy and there are many hotels near the roads. Many modern hotels are very tall and not all of them are situated near the roads. Many hotels have the large glasses installed due to which the noise is blocked. So, if you have a problem with the noise, you can either choose the hotels that are farther away from a particular main road or you can choose an expensive hotel with the glasses that blocks the noise completely. I have also stayed in many hotels that are nearer to the road and there was no noise coming 'inside' the hotel room. :)

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It really is the difference between a modern chain hotel like a Marriott or a local hostel. One will have sound proofing, while the other will not. You should be able to determine it quickly by seeing pictures online. But many small boutique hotels are well worth the stay, and offer a great deal of charm.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Get a room that's really far away from the elevator, because the constant coming in and out of people and walking around the hallways would be too noisy to get some sleep. It's really annoying, but it's true. The worst rooms on each floor are the ones that are in range of the noise coming from he elevator. Make sure to ask to transfer if that's the case, or make sure to make a preemptive strike by requesting a room away from the elevator when you are reserving before you even start your vacation :)

15. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

As much as I would prefer quieter rooms, I'd feel safer in lower rooms just in case an emergency arises. I'm not really picky but being in a foreign country would make me be more cautious of my surroundings but not to the point that I'd obsess over it. If I can, I'd request somewhere to be at the nearest exit though. If there's one thing that I'm terrified of, it's fires starting in buildings.