1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restricted Area Permit

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Maple, Feb 17, 2016.

  1. Maple

    Maple New Member

    What is involved in upgrading a visa to include a Restricted Area Permit? I saw that the Andaman and Nicobar Islands require foreigners to have a RAP and I'm wondering if it's easy to get that or if I'm going to have to jump through hoops.

  2. ChaiNashta

    ChaiNashta Active Member

    You can get the permit from one of the FRRO offices at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata or Chennai. You can also apply for RAP at the time of applying for your visa so it all gets done at one go. You can read more about Andaman Nicobar.

  3. briannagodess

    briannagodess Well-Known Member

    Hello, @Maple! Welcome to the forum!

    For the Andaman Islands, getting a Restricted Area Permit is easy. You have two options:

    1. If you're travelling by sea, you have to get the Restricted Area Permit in advance. You can do this while applying for your Indian visa abroad. Indian Mission Offices abroad also accept applications for the RAP. But you can also get the RAP from the Foreigners Registration Offices, here are their branches:
    • Ahmedabad - Address: Barrack No. 2, First Floor, Govt. Polytechnic Campus, Ambawadi, Ahmedabad, Gujarat-380015. Contact number: 079-26306606.
    • Amritsar - Address: Bureau of Immigration, D-123, Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar - 143001. Contact number: 0183-2500464.
    • Bangalore - Address: 5th Floor, A Block, TTMC, BMTC Bus Stand Building, K.H. Road, Shantinagar, Bangalore - 560027. Contact number: 080-22218195.
    • Calicut - Address: 20/1305, Castle View, Thiruvannur Road, Panniyankara, Kozhikode, Kerala - 673003. Contact number: 0495-2323550.
    • Delhi - Address: East Block VIII, Level 2, Sector 1, RK Puram, New Delhi. Contact number: 011-26711384.
    You can also apply for the RAP in the Immigration Authorities at the Delhi Airport, Mumbai Airport and Chennai Airport.

    2. If you're travelling by air to the Andaman Islands, you can opt to get the Restricted Area Permit on your arrival. You just fill up the form given to you and you can stay for the island for 30 days. Take note that your visa should not have a stamp saying, 'Entry to restricted areas not permitted.' Bring the following requirements with you:
    • Indian Visa without a stamp saying, 'Entry to restricted areas not permitted.'
    • Valid passport with 6 months of validity.
    • Passport sized photographs.

    There you go. I hope this helps you.:)