1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing India In Just A Week - Like William And Kate

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by amelia88, Apr 13, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love Prince William and Princess Kate, and the fact that they're in India right now is awesome to me!

They're seeing India in just a week - so it's a bit of a whirlwind trip from the sounds of things. I know that from what I've read, they're visiting the Taj Mahal and Kaziranga National Park, and doing some official duties as well, of course - meeting with the Indian Prime Minister and also meeting with the Bhutanese Royal Family, I believe!

So it led me to the question, for those of you living in India right now or who have already travelled there - if you only had one week in India, how would you recommend that the Royals (or any tourists, for that matter!) would spend their time?

Can't wait to hear some fun responses that will inspire me!

Sonali Roy likes this.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I love Indian architecture, from the ancient sites to the progression of colonial building. I always take a sketchbook and draw my favorite features and buildings, and I would spend all my time doing just that. It is not to everyone's tastes, but just going around to all the temples, monasteries and cities is great for me.

3. Destiny

Destiny Member

I don't think seeing everything India has to offer is possible in a week... Unless, you're royalty! I'm sorry but visiting India from another country is expensive and unless you have a bottomless bank account... Like the Prince and Princess then it's pretty much impossible. But. It does sound like TONS of fun!

amelia88 likes this.
  4. integrity101

integrity101 Member

I'd start the one-week "blitzkrieg" tour at the capital Delhi for two days and visit awe-inspiring attractions such as the Red Fort, Jama Masjid, and the National Museum just for starters. From Delhi, I'd travel by car to Agra just to see the Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri ruins then on to Jaipur, the 17th century Pink City just to visit the Maharajah's City Palace. The Gem Palace is also worth seeing if you still have time. It is at this point that you'll realize that you can't do India in a week, prince or commoner.

5. Kritika

Kritika New Member

Hi there !!
    It is like to next to impossible to explore all the wilderness, extensive and elaborated beautiful landscapes, cultural and religious diversity, vibrancy and many more thing which India has to offer in a week, and I am completely agree with Destiny that unless you have tons of money to spend you can travel as fast as you could. But again this is a kind of expedition that requires your time not in and out travelling itinerary.
    Nevertheless, if you are planning to spend your week in India than you should check out Rajasthan, the royal state of India and than Gujarat, great amalgamation of old and new, and then Varanasi for evening prayers at the bank of pious river Ganga.
    In Varanasi you do not have to do much effort just hire a car and laid back in your seat and enjoy the rush in lanes and boulevards and then in the evening get completely thrown by the magnetic effect of Evening prayer where your religious inclination get new hold and height. After that get ready to get indulge yourself in the royal feel of Rajasthan where every city is described by their colour and authenticity spread everywhere from palaces, forts to lifestyle and cuisines. After appreciating the grandeur of Rajasthan feel free to enjoy modern feel in the platter of tradition and customs in Gujarat. For me these three places worth visiting and also witnessing the said diversity in full fledge in a limited amount of time. Thanks............

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Destiny that's basically what I thought! It would be one thing to be flying in with an unlimited bank account and lots of connections - but, that's definitely not the case for me! I am sure that I could probably get to see some of the cool sights in a week, but the fact of the matter is I would probably feel really rushed, and like I wasn't doing the country justice. Right now my list of things I want to see in India is growing by the week, it seems, so I think it's going to be a month long trip once I can afford it!

tabby likes this.
  7. Destiny

Destiny Member

I'm sure you could still see tons of sights! Maybe, just wouldn't get the Royal treatment, that would make the trip more authentic - if you ask me!

8. tabby

tabby Member

This is something I can so relate, haha! I wish I have unlimited bank account so I can do it. But you know what, I'll take one week any other day just to get the experience of India. The waiting to save up for a long vacation might not happen, as they say life happens and there's always something that will come up to prevent you from doing the thing you want. I guess, it's not all or nothing for me. Thus, I'm amenable to just have a glimpse of something I want.

9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I know what would I do. I do love monumental buildings like Taj Mahal but I am more of a wilderness person and my thoughts are always closer to nature not to men. I admit that some things I would probably see but if I had to choose this or that I would choose some of the most beautiful natural sites and I know that India is full of those. We are too obsessed by the things we built. We are too obsessed by ourselves actually.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I'm sure it would be possible to see a lot of India in a week, you just wouldn't be able to appreciate it the same. As royalty they are obviously in a privileged position and will be no doubt be flown and driven around everywhere privately.

If we did a one week tour, we'd spend 3 days of it waiting in the airports for the planes!

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

So true - it would definitely change the playing field if you had access to private planes, chauffers and the like. I don't see that happening for me anytime soon, but it's nice to dream, right?

I think if I really did only have one week in India, I'd really just stick to one city and try and explore it in some level of depth. I don't think I'd try jumping from place to place too much, because like you said, a big chunk of time would just be spent waiting in airports or on other transportation!

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I don't think I'll ever get the royal treatment either so don't feel to bad, you're not on your own, haha!

Like you say, covering any country is going to be difficult in just a week, even for royalty, but covering India especially would be virtually impossible because there's that much to see, do and take in.

13. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Aw, such a fun thread, lol! If you only have one week to tour India, I would recommend focusing on one area or region to maximise your time. So instead of travelling from one place to another, you can make the most out of your trip by exploring one area or location fully. I can recommend:
    • The Golden Triangle: Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. You can start with New Delhi and explore these locations: The Red Fort, Humayun's Tomb and Jama Masjid. Of course, a trip to India won't be complete without visiting the Taj Mahal in Agra. In Jaipur, you can visit the Amber Fort and Birla Temple.
    • Mumbai. If you're an adventure and nature lover, you can visit the Elephant Caves and other reserves in Mumbai.
    • Kerala. You can try a relaxing trip in the backwaters and stay the night in their boat houses. You can then explore Thrissur after, go into the festival or visit the plantations in Mumnar.

I hope this helps!

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

So instead of spending the week trying to cover the whole of India, split it up into different regions. A week in one, then a week in another, and that definitely makes a lot of sense for the average people like us.

To be honest though why did they only spend a week in India anyway? I'm not saying because they're royalty that they don't have other things to do, but surely they could have spent a little longer out there? Even we go abroad for two weeks at a time and we'd spend longer if we didn't have to get back to work!

Something that I wouldn't have thought they'd have to worry too much about, haha!

15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

My thought is they probably would have missed George and Charlotte! Maybe if the kids were with them it would have been easier for them to stay longer - but I think it would be tough on parents leaving their kids at home, even if they know they have official duties. After all they're still human even if they are royals!

It's a pretty long trip though to take a baby and a toddler on - I don't know that I would be too keen on that if I was a parent!

pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's a good point and I don't think that with the children being the age they are, they would have been able to take them along, although having said that, I'm sure they'd have an entourage of staff with a fleet of childminders at their beck and call!

Spending just one week in India though is like spending one day in another country as there's that much to see and do, so I'm sure they'll be back.

17. integrity101

integrity101 Member

I read somewhere about the Golden Triangle trip for someone who's short on time. Basically it covers the most important places in Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur.The trip can easily be completed in a week. You may need to talk to a good travel agency operating in India to get the full details.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't think there's enough time! If you only have a week, you would definitely not see all you can see in this amazingly diverse subcontinent. Maybe try doubling it? If not, your best bet is to ask help from a local to show you around the area and maybe shorten your trips on every destination so you can maximize your time and energy seeing all you can.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm not sure that members of the royal family would be taking a gold triangle trip, but I see your point. For a whirlwind quick tour then maybe, but that would only wet your appetite and make you want to go back and soak up a real experience of India.