1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Srinagar Leh Highway

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by MKL, Jun 13, 2016.

1. MKL

MKL New Member

I have already created a thread about the Manali-Leh highway, and now I have some questions about the Srinagar-Leh highway which may seem a bit similar to each other.
    I know that the Srinagar-Leh highway is much better than the Manali-Leh highway, but a few more details would help me decide which route is the best for me.

1. Is it easier to self-drive or take a taxi on the Srinagar-Leh highway?

2. If I would take a taxi which route would you suggest to Leh via Manali or Srinagar?

3. Until what month is the Srinagar-Leh highway open until?

4. Are there more options for accommodation on the Srinagar-Leh highway than the Manali-Leh highway?

5. What are the road conditions like on the Srinagar-Leh highway?

6. How long would the journey from Srinagar to Leh take?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and thank you for choosing this forum to post your inquiries!

Here are the answers to your questions:

It would be easier to hire a taxi, as you won't need to drive on tough terrains at all. Make sure that you'd hire a taxi that is from Leh because they are the only ones allowed to roam there. Taxis from other states are only allowed to drop-off passengers. So only hire Ladakh registered taxis if you'd like to explore the place for a long time.

I would suggest the Manali > Leh route if you're going to be taking a taxi. Since this is the more difficult route, at least it won't be a hassle for you to drive it. Aside from that, if you hire a driver specifically from Manali, he would be an expert in driving through the tough road conditions. You get to enjoy the sceneries as well without worrying about the terrain.

The highway usually opens during mid-May or early June and remains open until October, just before monsoon season starts.

Yes! Due to limited civilisation in the Manali-Leh highway, there's not much accommodations around the area. On the other hand, the Srinagar-Leh route has more civilisation and so more accommodations en route. In Kargil, you'll find the most number of accommodations. But there are also some accommodations in Sonamarg, Drass, Mulbekh, Lamayuru and Alchi.

Generally, the road conditions in the Srinagar-Leh route is better than the Manali-Leh route. You would just need to pass three mountain passes namely: Zoji La, Namika La and Fotu La. You will pass through paved and unpaved roads. You will also pass through dirt and gravel.

It can about 14 hours or more, depending on the speed you're taking, your expertise in driving and how many times you stop to admire the sceneries.:)

I hope this helps!