1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standing Babas

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by StaceyK, Mar 11, 2016.

1. StaceyK

StaceyK New Member

I have recently been watching channels like National Geographical and Discovery channel and have seen a lot of stuff about India, which is now making me think about planning a trip there.
    One of the things which I saw on TV was the standing babas.

KailashGiri.jpg

This is something which I would like to see when I visit India, I would like to find out more about these standing babas, by meeting them, but I need to know where these standing babas are in India.

Where in India are these standing babas?

Is it ok to go and see or meet them?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Kumbh mela is on at Nashik where you can find plenty of standing babas and all the other kinds you can think of.

3. Ilivewhereistand

Ilivewhereistand New Member

What is the purpose of that? Why is the guy nude with his leg up on a swing? I'm just wondering. Seems kind of odd, but I guess so do a lot of foreign customs that we are not familiar with.

Elaine Lat likes this.
  4. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

The photograph aroused my curiosity as well. It seems that these standing babas are those who seek spiritual enlightenment by vowing to stay standing up as a form of self-punishment. This I think, could somehow be compared to doing penance by Christians but this type of Hindu vow takes it up a notch. As you can see in the picture, the man has his one leg on the swing that helps him rest his legs and arms to be able to bear this practice. It would really take a strong will to be able to go through with it. As to why this baba is naked, it might be a personal preference.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Many think it is just to draw attention and may be they are given money too. Atleast I do know there are so called self appointed spiritual gurus who attract followers by the millions. A recent case was that of this guru who was convicted for rape and he still has to account for the murders he committed. The facade of doing good to the world helped him amass wealth by the crores. Even politicians fall a prey to this cult.